Throttle not working.

GoldenMotor.com

Xiodinc

Oct 15, 2009
San Jose CA
I got my bike working, but after that, the throttle wouldnt work. It would just go accelerate and not stop until i hold the kill switch. what happened? something about the wires i assume.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
does the throttle turn? is it jammed? did you drill a hole in your bars for the pin or did you smash it on there?

if your throttle cable's too tight, it'll pull the slide up, keeping it revving.

it has nothing to do with the wiring. those have nothing to do with acceleration. if it starts and stops, your wiring's fine. (probably.)

Motor Boys

Nov 6, 2009
Cambridge
I don't know what kind of bike you have it on but my bikes with long horn bars, if you turn the bars and hit the throtle at the same time the cable has been known to pull up and sit on the top of the carb housing and get stuck on the lip. I have corrected this problem but maybe that is possible in your case.

Xiodinc

Oct 15, 2009
San Jose CA
that's not it. Do i solder the cable from the throttle to the one on the engine? and where is a good spot for the ground? I have it attached on the muffler now.\

throttle turned, and i drilled a hole. It seems like the throttle has no play. I peddle and let go of the clutch. after it just goes, then, i slow down by pressing the kill switch.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Xiodinc,
Remove your air cleaner and look down the throat of the carburetor. Twist the throttle and see if you can see the slide, or barrel moving up and down. It sounds to me like you might have some binding in your throttle cable or the slide is installed backwards. There are two slots in the slide; one short and one long. The long slot should be on the right as you look down from the top of the carb. The short slot, the idle speed slot, is, or should be on the left. Check for any binding in either the twist grip or the cable. You want long gentle curves in the cable. No tight bends or kinks. As for your wiring. I'm not sure what you mean by the ground wire. The engine is grounded internally at the magneto. The black wire is the ground and goes to the black wire of the CDI. I'm also unclear on what you mean by soldering the throttle cable to the carburetor. Help us out here with pictures if possible. Get back to us with what you find.
Tom

Last edited:

Xiodinc

Oct 15, 2009
San Jose CA
ok so there are 2 cables that come from the kill switch/throttle. One was a red wire, and had to be connected to the white. the other was an "O" type wire, and had to grounded to metal. I grounded it to the muffler.

blue/black/white cables come from engine and red and ground wire come from throttle and killswitch.

here is a picture of all cables connected.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Xiodinc,
Check your other question post for a wiring diagram that I posted for you. I feel that you're confused about the throttle and kill switch wiring. The throttle is simply a cable that is pulled, or tightened by the action of the twist grip. The kill switch, even though it is part of the same assembly, is a completely different thing. The kill switch is an electrical connection that will allow you to shut off the engine by grounding out the magneto. It has no bearing on the engine speed or idle speed. That is a function of the throttle cable and the idle speed adjustment screw located on the left side of the carburetor. Questions? We're here to help.
Tom

Xiodinc

Oct 15, 2009
San Jose CA
Ok, I checked the barrel, and it moves up, with the spring. Now i just twist it on the carb?

Should it work from there? I have all the cables correct.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
Yes twist it on the top of the carb(hand tighten only).
When you're done with the throttle you should keep the wires away from the muffler(it will get hot) and a engine mount bolt or other screw would be a better ground then the muffler as the muffler may melt a wire. But fix your throttle first.