hoot gearbox oil level?

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
P.S., Just because something is a piece of junk, and should not be sold, doesn't mean that it won't.

I worked for a really bad furniture store, and even though the store offered terrible service, didn't honor it's warranties, and sold low quality products, there were always new, unwary customers that kept the place going, that is until the IRS paid them a visit.

Motor Boys

Nov 6, 2009
Cambridge
So, I would like to try to get the supplier to fix the problem, and I am the one with the problem? It's easy to sit back and ***** on the sidelines, all I asked for was some pics, because as I said talking to the supplier there is a language issue(China) So things get lost in the words. If you have pictures that would be great if not thanks for the help you have given. May I ask why you bought 2 if the first was so bad?

Also thanks Joe, no one wants to see the kid get taken advantage of, I am also not sure if you are attaching me in your comment as you talk about my prices? Either way you give great advise and we are all looking to make things better in the long run.
Thanks

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I was not attacking anyone. Not sure what you mean there anyhow? Did you mean about your prices on your website? I was only commenting about them, since they are (comparatively) high. There was no attack, only a statement.

Last edited:

Motor Boys

Nov 6, 2009
Cambridge
I can see why you would say a little high, but our service is what keeps people coming back. We do not sell and once you are out the door, take the phone off the hook. LoL! We answer you right there and then no problem to big and none to small. Anyway thats off topic lets get back to the gear box for the kid.
Thanks

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
i like how im the kid, not mr awsome linnix, or cool respectful guy linnix, im just "the kid"

hmm not that bad if a nickname though? anyways i assessed my bike today and it looks good,the breaks are mangled and the rims are screwed but the engine was protected by the frame, i will be riding today(injured but whatever) and will get back to testing the gearbox, i think i put to much grease in because it slips in the low speed and low rpms, is that normal? should it slip at all or should it be straight power to the wheel, im afraid to skimp on the grease though,

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
motorboys, you are not helping my blood pressure and I'm sure that I am not helping yours. First, I would like to say that I commend you on joining this site and investigating what your customer must have said to you. You have already put forth more effort than most. However, I didn't say I "bought" 2. I said that I "have had" 2. The second (that failed) was a replacement for the 1st (that failed). I knew it was junk before I bought it, because I did a little "research" and the majority view let me know what to expect. I have to admit that the $230 kit enticed me. I was in the exact same position as linnix when I bought it. I also have the grubee gearbox's. I have over 1500 miles on one. I have installed the grubee kits for others that have over 1000 miles on them. That is closer to what I would call a success story. Why would you sell something, without knowing anything about it (as stated by you), and then get a little miffed at people that do know something about it and are simply sharing honest opinions that are requested? Why would you burden me with posting pictures when this site and others have already had numerous threads on this problem? Why don't you do a little research yourself before you start attacking? Yet still, what I stated about these gearbox's is only "my" humble opinion that resulted from "my" experience with them, not what others have said. It is not about you or your business. It's not our fault that they haven't been reliable gearbox's and we all understand that it is not your fault either. We are simply sharing our experiences and trying to help one another. I know that my experience and knowledge means absolutely nothing to you. But I must ask, if you don't want to hear about our experiences, why would you ask for them?

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
I would like to know if we are talking about the hoot with gears, or chain...
Linnix's is the newer chain gearbox, and that is what this thread is about
I believe the chain gearbox is fairly recent and I haven't heard a lot about it yet
the old gear driven one was never reported to work that I have read !!!

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
I would like to know if we are talking about the hoot with gears, or chain...
Linnix's is the newer chain gearbox, and that is what this thread is about
I believe the chain gearbox is fairly recent and I haven't heard a lot about it yet
the old gear driven one was never reported to work that I have read !!!
sorry to interupt this deadly bloodbath but i think your mistaken, i have the gears in mine, i got riding again today and it seems ok, the gearbox is still loud though, but hey what can you do? i broke the engine in and have reset my odometer to 0, so far i have 7kms on it, i will put it through its paces and let you all know, but it IS the geared box, no chain

Motor Boys

Nov 6, 2009
Cambridge
Hey Lets call a truce brother, if you read my posts, all I asked for was help if they are such big problems. I asked if anyone that was commenting had actaully owed one .... You were the only one, so I asked you to post pictures you are the one who is getting miffed... But anyway as I have said thanks for your comments and as far as buying something with no research that is a little bit harsh, I bought a sample of 25 kits to see if I would buy more??? It's called research I buy 500 ht kits at a time after buying small amounts at first aswell. Anyway I did not join this to fight , I was looking for help answers and maybe a little picture or 2 from someone who has had a problem with these, so I can fix the problem with my supplier or work out a deaal with other suppliers for another gear box. People with experince is exactly what I am asking for, but the one who have read somthing somewhere and then said it againto someone else and they said it to someone else and so on does not really help. 1 problem turns into 10,000 people claiming that it is a problem, that is my point, you have experence and that was all I was asking for, and not the regerated stories. Do you see where I am coming from? I will say again , I did not mean to step on anyones toes , I'm new to the site and I think it is great, just trying to work out an issue to be 1the only one selling 4 strokes in Canada. I hope all is good and again if you can dig up some pic's and email them to me it would help alot. Take care, friend.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
I currently don't have access to any pics of the internals, motorboys. I will try my hardest to find some for you when I can get back to the shop. Maybe I have some pics or still have the parts for you. This is a pic of the bike that I installed the hoot on. This is the only thing that I can show you for now to let you know that I did have one of these kits.

Attachments

Motor Boys

Nov 6, 2009
Cambridge
I believe you, I would just like to see what happens to them. So if you could help me out in anyway that would be great.
Thanks

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Hi Motorboys, I have stayed out of this discussion till now, but, maybe my experiences will help you understand these gearboxes, and their inherent problems. I had an early Hoot, it lasted me about 50 miles, it was very fun, and well liked by my friends, family and customers, minus these problems.

#1 Howling, screeching, screaming, what ever you would like to call it, unacceptable gearbox noise

#2 Lubrication problems,

#3 No hard facts (like Engineering Data, or MSDS) therefore no way to determine how to lube the box.

#4 Clutch slipping, and or chattering;

Well I tried Hypoid (90-140 transmission grease) stinks, messy, and boiled up out of the vented bolt on top rear of gear box.

Then I went to Chassis grease, clutch chattered.

Next step was a cream-colored Wheel Bearing grease, still clutch chattered,

Most acceptable lube was the White Wheel Bearing grease mixed with 50wt Racing oil, to a thick slurry.

#5 At a show, bike shuddered, and stopped pulling forward, after it sat about a year (busy with other projects) I took it apart.

#6 Clutch hub had cut itself into two pieces. This was the final straw, the Camel's back was broken! I removed all the greasy parts, and the experience actually caused the creation of a brand-new company, which would not be plagued with this type of problem.

#7 The pipe is a modified 2-stroke pipe, not actually a good match for the engine.

#8 Some of the MotorMounts are horribly made, some of the ugliest welding, and poorest fit, and finish of anything I have ever seen.

The little engine is a wonderful piece of equipment, the carb is nice and works well. Throttle, tank and other parts are average for motor bicycle use.

The chain drive boxes have been discussed here by others who have had personal experience with them, I have seen the posts, but have had no contact with them. They are not a good plan, apparently, search New Hoot Box or something to see the posts.

I hope this helps,

Mike