Getting A Kit This Weekend

GoldenMotor.com

20PoundDucati

Jul 22, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Hi all

I'm planning to buy a 66cc 2-stroke kit this weekend and I had a few concerns and questions that I wanted answered. I'm planning to buy my kit from gasbike,net since they are the most affordable, but I also saw a site that looks exactly the same at kingsmotorbikes,com the latter doesn't seem to be updated in accordance with the first and I'm starting to wonder if it's a legitimate site or not. I never got an email response from either, can somebody let me know if these are trusted dealers and if you've bought from there?

My other concern is importing into Canada, should I expect to pay a lot in taxes and shipping costs? Can customs confiscate the package?

I also wanted to know people's opinions about the kits there, which ones are the most reliable and produce the most torque?

My last concern is whether or not the kit will fit my bike, I have a full sized v-frame men's bike. But the bottom shaft/tube of the frame isn't round but vertically stretched, and I was wondering if there is a way to mount without drilling holes. If anyone could provide me with the overall dimensions of a 66cc engine + the carburetor I'd REALLY appreciate it.

I've attached a few pictures of my bike with some rough dimensions, if anyone happens to spot something that would prevent the kit from fitting please let me know. Thank you very much for the help.

Attachments

Last edited:

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
that frame looks a bit small for the engine.. Cabinfever77 has posted the dimensions in the 2 stroke forum IIRC.. looks like a 49cc slant head engine might be the best bet to squeeze in there

freewheeling frank

Mar 10, 2009
ridgway colorado
i have bought 3 kits from gasbike .net and have found there service to be good havent tried to email them but have spoke on the phone with them. i reccomend the grubee 49cc as i have that and a 66/80 kit and i cant tell the difference in tourqe or speed, there is a big difference in quality though the grubbe being the better, on the other hand i think grubee makes a 66, one othe thing DONT drill holes, check out some of the other aftermarket mounting devices, later frank

TheE

Jun 26, 2009
Canada
Just FYI, Zoombicycles is a Canadian company, and will ship from BC, thus avoiding customs. They sell PK engines instead of the Grubee ones. I have one and haven't had any (major) issues with it thus far.

20PoundDucati

Jul 22, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the help. I think I may order from zoombicycles now. About the grubee being better, I read up a bit on these engines and found out that they aren't all made equal. Is it possible that only the newer grubee engines offer equal torque? I read somewhere that some company started making 49cc's better than 80's in response to displacement restriction laws.

Thanks for the diagram, it really helped, I've got 11.6 inches clearance at my seat tube. Does that cover the room taken up by everything including the carb? Also, is the distance between the pedals from the actual pedals? Or the position where the pedal crankarms connect to the sprocket?

ps: sorry for the astronomical dimensions in my picture, for some reason I decided to throw an extra zero on my measurements

Last edited:

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
i think its the distance between the crank arms,so that they clear the sides of the motor(all the motors usually fit unless you get a dualstart engine or one with a pullstart). the 11"s may be a just a min,it helps to have more room than that, you may need to tilt the motor so that the aircleaner will fit.

20PoundDucati

Jul 22, 2009
Ontario, Canada
So I contacted zoombicycles and never got a response about the engines dimensions. Would somebody be able to measure their engine assembly for me? I'll try to fit an 80cc but if that doesn't work I'll go for 49cc. It would be better if the measurement would reflect the smallest box that the engine could fit so that height is diagonal to the block, excluding any parts that protrude on the sides and don't affect how it fits. Thank You, I'd really appreciate it.

Last edited:

20PoundDucati

Jul 22, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Thanks cabinfever... I got the scale picture on zoombicycles and printed it, I was wondering whether that's the size of the 50cc or the 80cc. I emailed the guy and he said they both have the same "bottom end dimensions" and said that there is no difference in size, but I'm not sure how to interpret what he said, and I would have assumed the 80 block was bigger.

The printout fits on an 8.5 x 11 piece of paper which fits into my frame with 2-5 inches to spare (when tilted diagonally). I will post a picture tomorrow to make sure I'm not overlooking anything that would keep the engine from fitting.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
they forget to mention that the picture doesnt include the carb with airfilter and the sparkplug and boot which will determin what angle the motor can be mounted at.
plus the muffler will need to clear frame and peddals.

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
From what I can tell by you holding the picture up to the bike is that a 50cc 0r 80cc will both fit easly....I think I have less space than you and I have a 66cc(80)....
John

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
The engine blocks are identical. Only the size of the cylinder bore and piston diameter are different.
Cylinder length is the same, however the cylinder heads are a wee bit larger on the 66/ 80 cc engines to afford better cooling to the engine.
BTW, there really is no 80cc engine. they just add the cylinder head combustion chamber volume to the actual swept cylinder volume to come up with 80cc's. A marketing gimmic to fool buyers.

Looking at your paper engine (awesome idea BTW) you will not have any problem fitting the engine inside your frame. You will, however, need to fabricate a front engine mount to properly attach the engine to your oval frame tube. Not hard to do.