Rear sprocket: How tight is too tight?

GoldenMotor.com

Ulysys

Apr 25, 2009
Spokane, WA
So I finally got my rear sprocket mounted, which was a pain. If the bolts had been just a little longer it wouldn't have taken me over an hour, and wouldn't have gotten sore hands from compressing things enough to get the nut and lock washer on :). But as I tightened it down, I realized I had no idea how tight to make them.

So, just how much should I tighten the bolts? Until the lock washers lay flat?

Ulysys

Apr 25, 2009
Spokane, WA
I'm mainly asking because after I got the sprocket on,put the wheel back on and spun the wheel, my the sprocket is straight, but the wheel isn't. I thought my rear wheel might be a little uneven, but it looks worse than I thought. Thought maybe that over tightening the sprocket may have caused it.

Then again, it is a kinda old, used mountain bike.

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
Attach a wire to the stay to act as pointer to check the sprocket wobble and eccentricity. Do the same to the
If your spokes are so loose that the rim is toast get another rim
Buy a used bike and use it for parts.
In my area used Womens bikes are about $5.00 Used Mens bikes are very expensive about $75.00.
If I show upon a motorized bicycle the price doubles LOL.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I would remove the sprocket (yeah, I know that's not what you wanted to hear) and true up the wheel, tighten the spokes, then re-install the sprocket.

99% of all wheels can be trued up to an acceptable level. Remove the tire/tube/rimstrip and use a screwdriver.

Ulysys

Apr 25, 2009
Spokane, WA
I don't have a vice. Nm, it looks like I'm going to need a different bike anyway. I just discovered that my chain is going to hit my rear brake no matter what I do, short of filing down part of the brake. The brake is on the bottom part of the frame instead of on top, so no matter how low I get the back of the motor, the chain is going to hit the brake.

The only other thing I could think of would be to use the chain tensioner on the top part of the chain instead of the bottom, but it doesn't sound like a good idea. There would probably be too much pressure on it and it would end up breaking it.

OzzyU812

May 15, 2008
"the bog" NH
I would remove the sprocket (yeah, I know that's not what you wanted to hear) and true up the wheel, tighten the spokes, then re-install the sprocket.

99% of all wheels can be trued up to an acceptable level. Remove the tire/tube/rimstrip and use a screwdriver.
My local bike shop said they would do it with the sprocket on.
Does the sprocket interfere with the truing process?

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I ould say that the truing process could be compromised by having the sprocket on since the rubbers clamp down on the spokes....I would at least loosen it before truing a wheel.