33cc on a road bike, nice...

GoldenMotor.com

jcarpe08

Apr 10, 2009
rives jct., MI
well i stumbled on this site about a week ago when i was cleaning my garage and found out that my dad had two weed wackers with broken shafts on them. i figured i should do something with them considering i am out of work at the moment so for the last week i have been tinkering and am really suprised by the results. at first i was going to put the motor on my MTB but after some trial and error and one broken chain i decided to mount it on an old roadbike with skinny 27in. tires. my basic set up is a box that i welded out of some 16ga sheet steel to mount the engine on and a peice solid 1 1/4" dia steel that i knurled drilled out and then welded to the broken end of the original shaft. i also added a spring to either side of the box i built and attached them on the bike frame behind the axle where there happened to already be holes the prefect size. i have to say the hardest part was figuring out the throttle, but i decided to use the same cable that switched the front gears on the bike since i never changed them anyways. all and all i was suprised on how quick the little bike was, it takes a few hard pedals to get it started but once it does it quickly gets to speed. once the engine kicks on i no longer have to pedal, it cruises about 25-28mph on flat ground, slows up a little to about 18mph up hills but to my suprise still hulls my 250lb body up them. and downhill.... well is where the story gets a little sour the speeds got up to 33mph and then the driveshaft shattered, so back to the drawing board... i have been scaning this site and am going to go to the local bike shop tomorrow and get some bmx pegs... you guys have some good ideas on here so thanks everyone who i took info from haha. i'll post picks when its fnished and maybe they can help someone else out- peace

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Try to keep your drive balanced. It will cut down on the vibrations and those are the real killer of drive shafts and mounts.

Also run tires that are not knobby those kill the drive as well. Good luck