Sprocket Questions

GoldenMotor.com

jjm86m

Sep 6, 2009
Tennessee
Hey, I've got a question regarding sprocket size. I'm currently running a 49cc China engine on a 41T sprocket and my max speed is about 22 mph. I weigh 160lbs.

I'd like to get more speed out by going to a lower sprocket but I have concerns for 2 reasons. The first is that at WOT on flat ground the motor RPM's are approximately half of the max RPM's based on listening to what happens when I pull in the clutch at max speed and hear the engine scream.

The second reason is that on a slight downhill I feel the engine pull harder and pick up speed, for obvious reasons of course, but it's making me realize that the top speed that I'm seeing isn't because of gearing limitations but because of available power from the engine.

So in theory a 36T sprocket will have a higher top speed, but if the 41T sprocket isn't hitting it's top speed and the limiting factor is the engine, I could actually lose speed by going to a 36T sprocket.

Is this correct?

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Your thinking is mostly correct. The tallest gearing for a 50 is about a 40T. I wouldn't go smaller than that. Even with a 41T you should be able to do close to 30 mph.

Sounds like you need tuning more than a new sprocket.

How many miles on your engine? What oil ratio are you running?

jjm86m

Sep 6, 2009
Tennessee
I've running a basically stock setup with ported exhaust and intake. Engine runs strong at when run at WOT with clutch pulled in.

Do you think an increase to 44T sprocket would actually increase speed in this case?

Gas Mixture: 32:1
Engine Mileage: ~300miles
Spark plug: NGK B6HS (Brand New), gapped .025
Fuel Petcock: None, threaded fitting --> external filter --> carb
Carb: NT,C clip on 1st notch
Ported on exhaust side/and take side.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
The 44t might allow the engine to reach full rpm. Worth a try since stock kit sprockets are easily available for cheap.