Chinese Build

GoldenMotor.com

nathans909

Aug 28, 2012
Shanghai China
Hello all

What a great little place you all have going here. I am totally new to this website and new to the idea of Boardtracker Bicycles.
I absolutley love motorcycles and espicially the Boardtracker look, BUT I live in Shanghai and there is no way I can own one there.
So here I go, I am going to get myself a bicycle and give it a go at making my own,.

But the biggest hurdle I have is living in Shanghai and getting quality parts or even parts at all. Now you may say Chinese stuff aint that bad, but out of China you get the export quality, not the local stuff.....

I am after any help I can get on Chinese brands that have past the test, any suggestions and I do realise all the problems of rebadging, and all that stuff, but itr will be a start of where I can look.

Also this is a question to all the Dealers and/or bike shop owners, would any of you ship to Shanghai. I am mainly worried and want, good wheels with tires and a good springer front end.

I really hope to hear any of your suggestions or advice. I will keep you all posted on how I go..xx.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Your best bet is to order the parts from the advertisement on this forum and of course we don't always use motorized bicycle parts, we often use real motorcycle parts as well, if you want an authentic board track racing frame then I'd get it from Dan at Taylarmotorbikes.com Check out 1919 Indian and Blood Thursty under boardtrackers and vintage motorized bicycles for a taste of Dans work, Might cost a bit but if quality is what you are after as you say then Dan is the man and all you would really order is Frame,Tank,Forks,Oilbox you can get all the other stuff on line, Ebay is a good start too look for vintage bicycles

nathans909

Aug 28, 2012
Shanghai China
It would be ideal if I could buy stuff on line and get it sent to me here in Shanghai.
But you would be surprised how many vendors will not send to China, not only motorcycle parts, but lots of others things also. The other thing I have to watch is the duty that you pay for goods bought overseas. It is a way the Chinese government protects its local industry.
It is not that un common to buuy something for $100 on line, $30 freight and the when the are delivered it you pay another $80 duty.... It will end up costing me a fortune.

I love those bike Dan has built, just amazing and again if I was in my home town of Sydney I may consider it.
Also for a first bike and to get my head around the whole thing, they may be a little too good.

So I guess I would like to keep to local stuff I can find in China.

Any help. Are there any members on here that live in China?

Thanks

Nathan.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
Find yourself a good solid bike frame there that you can modify and move forward from that point. To get a good build you may have to put together all the parts separately instead of a kit form type build.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
yeah, I tried to go to taylar motorbikes website and it keeps saying website not found. are they out of business, or did you type the name of the site wrong?

Edit: found it with the help of google.

Last edited:

nathans909

Aug 28, 2012
Shanghai China
Thanks Velodrome, I had the same issues trying to find the web page.
I will have to have a look today.
Dracothered, you mentioned getting a good frame and going from there. That is my main problem, trying to find a good frame.... I have been searching the local bike shops and there isn't much worth using.
You either have cheap chinese stuff for the local market, high end mountain bikes or racers and fixies which are taking off here over the last few years.
I can not find anything good quality and a good shape.
I guess I will have to import one.....

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
One good bike to keep an eye open for is a Flying Pigeon good quality and they have been making bikes for almost 100 yrs, now the frame is a vintage diamond shape but still a cool bike to motorize, they also haven't changed the design of the bike and in America they go for big bucks, something to think about since they are in plentiful supply in China

nathans909

Aug 28, 2012
Shanghai China
Those bikes are every where, you have no trouble finding them. I just went on line and looked at some prices they go for in the states, and yes they are a little pricey compared to China. You could get them here new for anything between $50 and $100... And about $20 second hand.
I love the small vertical bar they have across the top of the forks on some of the models, really nice.
I am after the more curved shape frame.
Anyone want a Flying Pigeon in exchange for a nice beach cruiser

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
If you can get a Flying Pigeon with a little age to it for cheap you could use it for parts'forks,brake system is unque,so are the levers and and 28" rims wich are also desirable in the states, something else to think about

nathans909

Aug 28, 2012
Shanghai China
Yeh thanks mate.

I love those bikes he has been building. I would love one of those. I did contact him yesterday or the day before about getting one of his frames, but no response yet.
Who knows it could be an excuse to go pop over to THAILAND...
Frame below is not what I originally had in mind but it is an interesting look.
What do you think.

file:///Users/nathansidoti/Desktop/Bicycle/26%22%20Stretch%20Limo%20Frame%20for%202%20Stroke%20Bicycle%20Engine%20Kit.webarchive

nathans909

Aug 28, 2012
Shanghai China
Hi all

So today I went to the second hand bicycle market, and did feel a little guilty as I knew 99% of the bikes there being sold, were stolen bikes.... I am pretty sure.
But no luck any way. The only things I find that had a suitable frame were 24" wheel bikes or there was this amazing one but it was aluminum, and I here that is not easy to weld....

Ill keep trying...