I feel posting will keep me motivated

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I'm already liking your exhaust system. Can't wait for the finished product. Keep us posted. So far it's looking just fine.

Tom

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
OH NO! Someone stole you crank and pedels!! Heh... Looks good. What kind of tank ya planning on? +1 on the exhaust. Cool!

AlaskanSpaniard

Jun 22, 2012
Kenai, AK
here are some more pictures.

First is the kickstand I spent a couple hours building. I am on the fence on whether I like it or not. Your thoughts?

Second is the data tag on the engine. Can't find much information on these Pico-Wingding engines, anyone familiar with them? I know they are older and there is a post I read on here about them. stv1jzgte has one, I believe. If there are any threads I missed please guide me in the right direction.

Third is the profile on the exhaust people seem to like so much :) It's simply a poo pipe sold by DAX.

Fourth is the remnants of my layback seat post :)

Attachments

AlaskanSpaniard

Jun 22, 2012
Kenai, AK
m'kay.

I spent the day helping my father in law build a rear gate for his trailer so not much got accomplished.

I did receive a little present from amazon though, a converion kit LED for a maglight! :)

So, with the little time I had to myself, I retrofitted my Schwinn headlight to take an LED.

As you can tell, the original light bulb was threaded into the adapter, so it had to be modified via drill bit.

Once I had the bulb in place, i soldered it to the adapter for ground.

Added a little rtv to the back edge for moisture control and reinstalled in the housing.

Pretty simple job, and I hope it will be as bright as my maglight is.

Attachments

AlaskanSpaniard

Jun 22, 2012
Kenai, AK
ok, finally got to put some time on the bike again.

I spot welded the brackets for the coaster brake, chain tensioner, and exhaust.

Routed all the cables and cut them to length.

Added an on off switch to the headlight.

Tested for spark.

Added front rim brakes.

Tomorrow I am welding the brackets for the gas tank and welding the studs to the frame that will be used to attach the copper sleeve tubing I am using.

After that, I'll take it in to the shop so I can TIG weld everything, sand blast the frame and forks and assemble the bike for a test run before paint.

Plain is to run it on Wednesday!

usflg

Attachments

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
I am always jealous of you guys with access to welding equipment. .weld

Funny story coming up, ready, here goes:
I bought a couple cheap LED bicycle flashlights and two packs of alkaline batteries.
On my way home from my brothers place was a good rip. When I got home I realised that both my flashlights fell off their clips. It looked kinda nice, dual black headlights, and it all cost me about 7 bux.
Another dollar store lesson (learned?)

Anyway, have fun with that, I do with mine.
Nice light conversion.

AlaskanSpaniard

Jun 22, 2012
Kenai, AK
okay! Mockup is finished!

The is currently torn down completely and I am going through the long process of cleaning, sanding, prepping and painting all the components.

Next time you guys see it it will be for its test run before paint :)

Happy 4th everyone!

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Dang, I missed the kickstand. Looks awesome.

Can you expand on it AS? Been contemplating one for a while.

AlaskanSpaniard

Jun 22, 2012
Kenai, AK
I have not forgotten about you Dan. It's simply to stinking hot! I am building this bike in west Michigan as we are here visiting family and doing ministry. I'll elaborate on it in the next couple days, when the temps come back down.
In the meantime, here is a picture of the frame primed.

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
All good and no worries AS. Watching the news last night, they said it was brutal out your way.

Bummer part is here in CT is almost perfect tinkering temps and weather I can't get to it.

Is like money and time. There is always a shortage of one or the other that limits getting the fun stuff done.

AlaskanSpaniard

Jun 22, 2012
Kenai, AK
Well here we are. Bike is pretty much completed. I still have to weld a couple studs on the frame to hold the copper tubes in place.

Now the problem :)

I bought this engine used, and not sure of its functionality. The cilinder and piston looked great, so I bought a new carb, cdi, mag, sparkplug and gaskets and got the engine assembled.

As long as I pedal, the bike sputters and the exhaust is warm, like it is firing. But it will not stay running or give any power. I have used the search function and probably am not using the right keywords, as I have not been able to locate another thread with this symptom. Can anyone direct me to the right thread, or help me figure it out?

Thanks in advance.

I'll get a couple pictures up after church :)

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Have a look at your plug first. If its Wet, it is getting fuel and is probably an ignition problem, or lack of compression(loose head). If its Dry, it is not getting fuel.

Make sure your head is snugged down properly(but don't over do it). Check around the head gasket to see if there's any seepage getting out. Little to no compression can cause your symptoms too.

But yea, start with what the plug says and go from there. :)

AlaskanSpaniard

Jun 22, 2012
Kenai, AK
I am concerned that I have low compression. There is spark and the plug is wet.
I know it is firing a little. I would say that timing was off, but I checked the magnet rotor and the keyway is on the right spot.

I will get a fresh load of fuel in her and try again.