sturmey-archer hubs worth it?

GoldenMotor.com

familyguy

Jan 7, 2012
lincoln, ca
can anyone tell me about these hubs, ive done alot of reading, but not sure if they would be feasible/ useable with a motor driving the rear wheel. do any of you run these? can i use the 8 speed without destroying it with my 4 stroke? thanks fellas.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Although I'm unfamiliar with the 8sp, I must say I've been more than pleased with the preformance & reliability of my jack shafted X-RD3 w/aprox 2HP going through it for around 4000 miles so far...

I don't know which "4 stroke" you're referring to, but generally speaking from the applications & experimentation by other members it seems as if a quality internally geared multispeed hub is capable of dealing with up to roughly 5HP without imminent failure at least, whereas even the NuVinci seems unreliable with anything more than that (Morini 5, 9 & 12HP variants used as test platforms).

I'd say if you're under 4HP, you're probably fine - but it has been suggested the more speeds a hub has, the less durable it may be (excepting NuVinci ofc). I can't attest to the validity of this as I've not experienced it myself, but it seems plausible *shrug*

familyguy

Jan 7, 2012
lincoln, ca
do you need a jack shaft or does it change gears internally like the nuvi? sorry my two builds have been mono-speeds... the rpm being my top speed!

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
To route the engine's output through the rear wheel's gearing, it would have to be freewheeled & jack shafted as the sprockets are on different sides (engine & hub)... unless I'm misunderstanding your question? The SA X-RD3 is a traditional 3sp however, completely unlike the NuVinci despite the fact they're both internally shifted.

You might find these interesting as they illustrate the workings of "typical" internal geared hubs: http://sheldonbrown.com/internal-gears.html and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hub_gear and then there's the NuVinci

familyguy

Jan 7, 2012
lincoln, ca
you understood me! i guess it didnt occur to me that these hubs are on the wrong side ( from the motors output sprocket). do they make multi speed hubs that you wouldnt need to jack shaft? to make sure you get what im saying... do they make left hand multi speed hubs