Should I trim up this Back Fender ?

GoldenMotor.com

TANGO

May 26, 2011
IL
I am getting ready to disassemble this 1948 Schwinn and I keep Looking at that back Fender ? Now would be the time to measure and cut that back fender before I sand and paint . I was thinking of triming it at the Center support . What do you guy think ? Also going with a Springer Fork set up in Chrome and a Husky HD 3-Speed Back Rim .

TANGO

May 26, 2011
IL
Now I am think if I Leave that Fender on It's going to have to be modified to clear the Drive chain ? I see most Bikes Like this are being built with no Fenders .

So you think the surface Rust Look is COOL Like some Rat Rod car Builds ? I was going to go Rat Rod Black but with Chrome Wheels and a Chrome Springer Straight Fork set up .

magrider

Aug 24, 2010
OrangeCounty, CA
personally, I wouldn't cut anything from that bike, it all looks original? If you had to have a chopped fender, buy a new import and chop it that for the bike.
what ever you do don't cut anything, or weld anything to your '48.
I really like the skip tooth sprocket, and it has just the right amount of rust.

TANGO

May 26, 2011
IL
I can see How this Bike could be a COOL Non-Motorized Build as well with out to many Mods done to it .

But I really bought it to Motorize . I will try to keep it Like Factory as much as I can . Is this Rust Look COOLer then painting it ? I can clean it up some and Leave it Like that . The Rust in not real Heavy just surface Rust .

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
chopping the fender isn't that big of a deal. original ones can still be found easily if you ever wanted to go back to stock.

i usually cut mine so they're about an inch above the motor's chainline. it's about 6" down from the brace on the frame. match the cut with the back end of the fender so it looks clean.

another trick, if you don't want to chop the original fender, is to find a nice front fender for the rear. it'll usually fit perfect, and give a clean "bobber" look to it.

as for the rust, soak the bike down with WD40 and wipe it in. it'll clean it up and bring it to life, while still keeping that cool old look. i definitely wouldn't paint it.

if you want some cool ideas and tips on building up an old bike, check out this monstrous thread: http://motorbicycling.com/f38/rustoration-build-off-13144.html

TANGO

May 26, 2011
IL
bairdco that's some great reading and Building on that thread . Ok no Painting but I am going to go with a straight Chrome Springer Fork set up . And I have to buy a HD rear wheel so may as well buy a good front wheel too . Seat I am not sure this one could be covered with a Gel type cover . But I don't want a Seat that kills the azz so Have to see how that works out . What are your thoughts on Handle Bar's ? I was think of maybe reusing the one on it if I Lower the neck and adjust them . Not Sure ? -> input welcomed and Needed Thanks

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Rust never sleeps eh?

You guys and your rust...

I thought the idea was to fight the rust, not celebrate it.

:)

TANGO

May 26, 2011
IL
Yeah it's going to be a thing of art when it's done if I ever get the parts I order for it Ha-Ha

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA

TANGO

May 26, 2011
IL
Thank's Mike .B you always come up with some good Ideas but this Jokers Brown Enough .

Did some work on the Old Schwinn today . Took it down to the Frame . I was Lucky that all the parts came off with out any Trouble . I did spray it down with penetrating oil Last Weekend . After talking to a few Rat Bike Builders here and thinking it over . I am going to just wipe down the rust with oil and a rag and Leave the Rust Look . So the Springer Front Fork is next then the Rear Wheel and Gears so I can do some Engine Mounting / Line-up . In the one photo you can see the original color of the Bike .

Ballin on a Budget

May 26, 2011
Vernon, British Columbia
Wow Tango.....Im jealous.
Ive been into the traditional hot rod scene for quite some time, and I cant tell you how rare it is to find a bike with "patina" that is so even and perfect as it is on your bike and I am so stoked to hear your going to keep it that way! Rubbing her down with oil is a great idea, or the other way to preserve the patina is go down to your auto parts store and pick up some semi gloss clear coat (just a normal spray paint type), wipe 'er down with paint thinner, and give it a shot of that. This way, it will maintain that perfect patina look, not rust any further, and because it makes the finish smooth and even, it makes the bike easy to clean as well. Just an idea.... Great start and keep us posted!
-Dan

P.S. if you decide you want to bob that fender, try it on a different one first and mount that to see how it looks so you dont ruin the original...not cuz its hard to replace, but because you could never exactly replicate the matching patina of the orig. if you dont like it.

TANGO

May 26, 2011
IL
Thanks Ballin for taking an interest in this Bike Build . I have to weld the Engine Support bar in Place it's 1X1/4" square stock . Just waiting for My Springer Forks to show up . Then I can Bolt some Rims on and the crank . Then see how well I can Level the 4 Stroke Engine and Clear the Pedals ? The Square stock that I have is unfinished so I will have to see how I can blend it in with the slightly rusted finish . Maybe some Light brown primer just on the Support bar .

ratrod

Feb 7, 2011
Australia
Gday Tango...that is one awsome frame i cant get over the detail you have there i love the old patina look on the bikes i will be following this thread. one of my favorite builds was the 100yr old cranbrook.
Will you be using 24inch rims on that frame or 26s pics are decieving

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
personally, I wouldn't cut anything from that bike, it all looks original? If you had to have a chopped fender, buy a new import and chop it that for the bike.
what ever you do don't cut anything, or weld anything to your '48.
I really like the skip tooth sprocket, and it has just the right amount of rust.
That is exactly what I did with my 50 Roadmaster. That way I can go back to original.

Has that front fender already been bobed in the front?