HF 52cc Idle but will not take throttle

GoldenMotor.com

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
My friend Wayne c has been running that engine for about a year with no problems.

Does that carb have a high speed mixture screw? You may be running lean at high speed, lets hope not, bad if lean.

Good luck, hope it is minor problem.

Ron .cvlt1

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
O.K.

Ordered 2 new carbs.

One came in the mail today. Put it on. The engine starts up, but does not develop the power it had. It also requires the idle screw(not spring screw) to be turned in alot or it will stall. It also sounds and feels boggy. It also does not go as quick as it did. If I turn the screw on the carb with the spring on it so it compresses, it makes the engine more boggy and will eventually stall the further i compress it. If I turn the spring screw the other way, it still feels boggy at the least spring tension.

Any ideas what the problem might be and how to fix?

Thanks,

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
Bike still does not run right.

I put on the carb. I got from California and it seemed boggy. So I took it off and put the carb on my other HF 52cc friction drive unit I have setup. It runs the same.

It is very hard to start up even after it has been running. Sometimes I have to choke it to get it to start after running it. It is very boggy during acceleration and develops poor torque. It seems very boggy during acceleration, but then opens up as it gains speed. The engine finally starts to come alive after it hits about 20mph.

I only paid $15.99 for the carb shipped from California, and the one coming from china I only paid $12.99 shipped.

Any ideas what might be the problem? It is going to take a while for the carb from china to get here. Thanks,

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
It is kinda odd..................................................

The motor does not run right, however it runs right on a friction drive.

This may not sound like it makes sense. If you figure though............

It is boggy during acceleration which saves my tires, and it reaches top end but it takes a while to get there. It starts on first or second pull now but I have to choke it. It may be different with the carb from china I get.

In a nutshell though....................................

I would rather have a subaru eh035 or a honda gx35 though for this friction drive.

The HF 52cc is too powerful for a friction drive. It will go 37mph and eats tires like a stud going thru rubbers with a prostitute.

Dec 18, 2009
new jersey
what about the original carbs? sounds like its not getting enough gas or air. (this is tecumsehs problem, they use variations of the same carb for all the diff. displacement engines, so all the high horsepower ones are hard to start)

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
The Plug-N-Play method works great. One of my HF 52cc engines went down, and I just took my second HF 52cc engine mounted to my second friction kit, took one bolt out, and took the skewer out. Plugged in the second friciton unit with engine already attached, and I was rolling again without having downtime to figure out what is wrong with the first one.

Turns out, I think I know why the first one failed with new carb. I attached the fuel line tubes incorrectly, so It was pulling from the tube without the fuel filter on it. Right now my first friction kit will not start. It was starting to get progressively worse. I had to put it on full choke and floor the throttle to get it to start. Now it will not start. Any ideas on how to fix? I was thinking the carb. might be clogged because it was not pulling fuel from the fuel filter. Maybe get some carb and choke cleaner and spray up the intake port on the carb. to blast out any dirt/debris?

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks,

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
Now having a problem with engine #2. It has a brand new carb on it. It has two situations about it that are making it not run right. When the lean/mix screw is tightened one way, It will not accept throttle in the beginning. I have to feather the throttle to get it over a bogging down stage so it will then run right. If I'm riding and then come to a stop/idle. It again will not accept throttle. It however hauls ass after getting it over the hump of feathering the throttle to accept acceleration. It runs excellent from 3/4 throttle to full throttle, but boggs down during the idle/ to 3/4 throttle stage

Then when I turn the lean/mix screw the other way, the variables are inversed. It will take throttle from idle, and runs O.K. from Idle to 1/2 throttle, but will not run from 1/2 throttle to full throttle. It boggs down after 1/2 throttle. I have fine tuned and tried to find a happy medium with the lean/mix screw but not able to find one.

Right now I have to run it either idle to 1/2 throttle, or idle, feather the throttle to get it over the bogging down stage to full throttle.

Any Ideas? Thanks,

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
Ohh yea. I forgot to mention. I just got back from my local Robin/Subaru dealer, to see what kind of a deal I could get on a EH035. If you try this, do not tell them what it is for(motorbicycle). I sensed some cognative dissonace in his demeanor about its intended usage.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Al

It sounds like it is running very lean (lack of fuel) at idle, thats why you have to go slow on the throttle. if you open the throttle too fast it leans out and dies from to much air.

When you give the idle circuit more fuel with the adjustment screw, then it is more than likely getting too much fuel on the top end.

Spraying cleaner in the port makes the port clean, but does nothing for the internal parts of the carb.

I`m having all kinds of trouble with my carbs because of the "corny" gas. Are you using and additive? Maybe someone will chime in on the gas cure. months ago some members mentioned getting gas from major brands. They may all have enthanol in the gas now, I`m not up todate on that.

Now they are talking of going to 15% from the now 10%. I hear all the lawn equipment dealers etc are real busy because of this.

My plan is to install shutoff valves in my fuel lines and run carbs dry after a ride, or drain the carbs that have bowl drains.

good luck! keep us posted.
Ron .cvlt1

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
Thanks NEAT,

The MB is running better than it ever has. I turned the bicycle upside down and poured out the gas and put in a fresh batch. It was not the gas though.

I ended up getting another engine. I now have (3) 52cc engines. This one is not from Harbor Freight though. I got it off of ebay for $7.50 + $10.95 for shipping and handling. It also came with a pocket bike tranny, a 1:1 ratio clutch bell drum as well with 5/8 D bore, and a some other stuff. It was someone getting rid of there stuff.

The engine didn't come with a carb. So I took the one off of my HF 52cc that i was having problems with and cleaned it with carb/choke cleaner and put it on the new engine. I do not know what the problem was with the HF 52cc, but this new engine purrs like a kitten and i do not have the noise, nor the oil mess I had with the HF 52cc engines.

I now have over 1,000 miles on 2 friction kits. The friction kits work for me down here in Florida. Not sure how they would handle the hills/mountians of N.C. though.

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
It is used and it runs great now. It was on a motor scooter but the scooter was junk, so I just kept the engine. The clutch shoes do show some wear, but they still work fine and can be replaced at staton inc. if necessary. The carb idle screw and bracket broke off, I can obtain a new carb for you before you buy it or I can make a repair to the existing one. It would also include the gear reduction box. If I replace the carb I would want 85-90
If I send it how it is or fix the carb I would want 70-80. Thank You!

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
Not sure that I fancy the idea it came off of a scooter. Most kids rag them out. If you don't sell it in two weeks and want to let it go for $40.00 + $10.00 shipping and handling, send me a P.M. Thanks,

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
It could be a vacuum leak from a pin hole in the line or a semi-
clogged fuel filter. Fuel lines can easily be damaged when the
filter line is drawn thru the tank.

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
It has been fixed......................

$12.99 shipped for a new carb.

I'm running a different motor now though. I only paid $7.50 for it and it is the best quietest engine I own. I now have 3 of these HF 52cc/Monster Scooter engines.