not another coaster brake question

GoldenMotor.com

tudorvintiloiu

Apr 19, 2010
Romania
Hi guys!

Let me just start y saying that I read everything that's been written here about this, but somehow I'm still confused about one tiny thing.

I didn't trim the dust cap, i went for making the sprocket bigger. Just big enough to clear the dust cap.
I as quit happy with myself, before I started putting the thing together.

My question is this: If i sandwhich the spokes using the rag joint, it will push the sprocket so far out that the brake arm won't reach its place. No amount of bending it can solve this.
Unles anybody knows a better way, my only option is to put the sprocket right against the spokes and pray that my chain clears my tyre.

How did you guys tackle this problem?

Thanks,

T.

FreeWheeler

Jun 22, 2010
Maryland
Hi guys!

Unles anybody knows a better way, my only option is to put the sprocket right against the spokes and pray that my chain clears my tyre.

How did you guys tackle this problem?

Thanks,

T.
I dont think your spokes will last 20 yards/meters without the rag joint. I can take a picture of mine and post it.

Pirate cycles sells the custom brake arm I was thinking of.

Pre Bent Laser Cut Brake arm w Radius

I included the picture from pirate cycles product so you can see how it is bent and shaped. It is custom and the part that bolts to the hub is rounded about the same diameter as the dust cap so it will fit nice with the sprocket.

Attachments

Last edited:

FreeWheeler

Jun 22, 2010
Maryland
And here's a picture of my sprocket and brake arm.

A few things in the picture to note:

The string under the brake arm is to cover gaps around the trimmed dust cap where grease will get out and dirt will get in. You wont need that if you reemed out the sprocket.

The sprocket goes on first and then the brake arm - sprocket, dust cap, brake arm, bolts

the brake arm is bent out towards the chainstay to clear the bolt heads on the sprocket and then bent in again to line up with the chainstay and attached with something like a bracket or bailing wire ha ha. Dont forget to attach the arm firmly or it will spin around and loosen the hub up.

That's the only thing I can think of is that youre trying to put the brake arm on and then the sprocket, cus that aint gonna work that way for sure.

Attachments

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
If you have access to a vice the brake arm can easily be bent with just a crescent wrench.

Also there was an entire thread about putting the sprocket directly against the spokes and several people swear that it works just fine that way.

FreeWheeler

Jun 22, 2010
Maryland
If you have access to a vice the brake arm can easily be bent with just a crescent wrench.

Also there was an entire thread about putting the sprocket directly against the spokes and several people swear that it works just fine that way.
I'm new enough to still be dangerous, but eager to help, so if I suggested anything bad please correct me.

Question is with a coaster bike, why would you need to put the sprocket directly on the spokes? I had a clearance issue with the sprocket/chain/tire and put 2 washers on opposite side from brake and it worked. Whats the situation that escapes me?

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
I myself, even if others had good results, would never have metal to metal with something that can shift, unless absolutely necessary. Something eventually has to give/wear.