Bottom bracket as jackshaft

GoldenMotor.com

junked

May 2, 2010
Mass.
Has anyone tried using a bottom bracket assembly as a jackshaft? Just thinking.

I mean, cut it off the donor bike and adapt sprockets to it.

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Good link & thanks d gizzle, I'd not seen that before :)

Thought I'd add my 2 bits - a less expensive & slightly more reliable setup then twin, engine driven freewheel bearings;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U10xLqTekOw

The only freewheel bearing is for pedal power only, so there's little shock or strain on it & the engine can be "bump started" if needful. Most three piece bottom brackets will take external clip 499502H-NR sealed bearings (same as SBP 2 stroke shift kit) if you hone the bottom bracket's threads smooth, they'll press right in. Then it's just a chunk of 5/8" keyed shaft, some lock collars & sprockets of your choosing... the whole thing cost roughly $40-50 tops.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
Plus the labor. If you want to pedal the jackshaft I linked to isn't for that. And you can always change out the sprockets.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
Or how about a problemsolvers sliding bottom bracket,a sbp 206mm BB cartridge,and the various sprockets & 5/8" adaptors?

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Or how about a problemsolvers sliding bottom bracket,a sbp 206mm BB cartridge,and the various sprockets & 5/8" adaptors?
Just thinking about this same topic today! Unfortunately, Problem Solvers doesn't make the sliding bottom bracket anymore and it was over $100.00, but someone could probably manufacture one.

Thanks for the information,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
Actually it was $79.99 and I just bought one in the original package with original price tag off eBay. And I didn't pay that price.