Too much compression?

GoldenMotor.com

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Hi to all on the forum.
Well, I have finished putting together my first MB kit, and it acts like it has too much compression (But I know really this is not so).

Here's what happens: I pedal down the street, release the clutch and the motor acts like a brake and almost locks up the rear wheel. I have a pull-start on it, and that is also hard to pull, but one good yank on it and the engine starts up fine.

So, it would appear that the engine has so much compression that it cannot be turned over by the rear wheel.
No hills around here, so I can't let gravity help me start the bike while rolling.
Even though I have a pull-start on it, it would be nice to pedal-start it also.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Compression isa wonderful thing heh, many spend a good amount of effort trying to increase it for maximum performance :D

There's a bit of a "method" to pedal-starting, I hold the clutch in till I get a lil speed, then when the right pedal is at the 1 o'clock position I snap the clutch out and stomp - but keep pedaling too... once ya get the knack it's easy as pie ;)

Alla these engines are a lil different, sounds like ya have a good 'un tho.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Hi BarelyAWake,
Thanks for you reply to my post.
I will give your method a whirl and see what happens, maybe I am just not getting up to enough speed to overcome the engine's resistance.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Success! It seems that the problem was that I was not pedaling fast enough. I got it up to speed, released the clutch, and the engine spun and started.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Ha HA corgi1, I weigh less that some of the members on here, plus the bike is a 24" frame so it's smaller and a little lighter.