Gas mileage

GoldenMotor.com

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
Jared, that is a good idea of how they change :)
just where the belt rides makes a big difference
add the rear sprocket, and you get even more ratios
before I ordered my 72, I figured out ratios for every size in 2 teeth increments from 56 to 80 teeth and 2 different front and rear pulleys,,,
the 72 and stock EZM pulleys are exactly what I wanted for my needs :)

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
azbill were can i get a 72 tooth my kids diesel is still kinda high geared witha 56 tooth Thanks Poulk
Just curious, are you using a gear reduction on that diesel or just a clutch gear? Kind of hard to tell from that picture in the other thread.

Hi Jared,

You are correct.

EZM has done a massive amount of research & testing and therefore are way ahead of our competition. There are so many styles & types of belts and we had to find out which were best for motorbike useage.

We tried Kevlar, wraped, cut, FPH, wedge, cogged, AX, 3L, 4L, 3V, 17 series, 15 series, 7200 series, 9200 series, metric, commericial, industrial, notched, timing, Dayco, Carlisle, Goodyear, Napa, Gates, half sizes, and most likely several I forgot to mention.

In addition we studied pulleys in cast aluminum, cast iron, billet aluminum, composite, and steel. We tested pulley from Congress, Chicago, private billet, and Fenner.

The more we learned the more we realized we needed to know more.

It became far more than just putting a belt on 2 pulleys. We learned how to increase the power transfer rate, which belts lasted longest, which belt runs cooler, which belts altered the ratios, which belts stretched and which didn't. We learned that some belts have cogs on both sides, some have 3 different sizes of inner cogs [NAPA], cords & backbones vary, belt width varies [from company to company], and we also learned about cost and discontinued belts.

The research led us to the conclusion that EZM will most likely enter the belt business in the very near future and have our belts custom made.

Have fun,

Last edited:

jared8783

May 13, 2009
Elkhart, IN
Although we can alter the ratios with a vast array of belts we narrowed the options to only 3 because of design & quality. The primary ratios can be ordered in 2.62 X 1, 2.76 X 1, and 2.935 X 1, and can easily be changed if needed.
What exactly are the three belts that provide these ratios?
And which of the three is it you include with the kit?

Thanks
jared

palmclub

Feb 17, 2010
Los Olivos Ca.
civli,, were changing to belt drive ,we had a clutch and a 56 tooth sproket but he ate them up counld handle the power now were with a 14 " pulley should work ok now witha 3 inch pulley clutch

Hi Jared8783,

We normally ship the drive with the midrange drive belt [.410"] thus allowing the owner a good reference point if used on the HS or Honda motors. If the drive is ordered for use on low RPM motors like the HF 79 or Briggs motors we ship the 2.62 primary ratio. We soon hope to offer 2 more options but we are still working out the details with a new belt company.

We had originally narrowed the options to 3 however recent requests concerning light riders on level roads has us testing an even smaller ratio [2.38 X 1 primary]. One of my local customers [weighs 145 pounds] has about 300 miles on the 2.38 X 1 primary drive with a final ratio of 13.37 X 1. He does a lot of rides on a 50 MPH road and reported top speeds over 45 MPH, but told me he normally travels about 40 MPH without the motor "wound up". Please don't use his numbers as a guide because he rides too fast, but he does have HD wheels with serious brakes.

He is using a special order belt from NAPA [expensive] and the cogs are 3 different sizes. Because of the NAPA series 95 design [.531"] the belt sits much higher in the pulleys and alters the ratio.

The majority of the belts we offer will not work in other drive systems because of design. As we watch other companies try to copy our designs we found they don't understand and have issues with belt slippage.

Belts are available in .375", .393", .410", .468", .500", and .531" to fit our drive. Although some of the belts can be ordered via Auto parts stores, they vary greatly between different companies and often won't fit our drive [too long or too short]correctly. Because of our high volume we have ordered large quanities of belts for stock and will offer them to Q-Matic owners for a lot less than conventional retail outlets.

Hope this answers your questions, if not ask again.
Have fun,

jared8783

May 13, 2009
Elkhart, IN
We had originally narrowed the options to 3 however recent requests concerning light riders on level roads has us testing an even smaller ratio [2.38 X 1 primary]. One of my local customers [weighs 145 pounds] has about 300 miles on the 2.38 X 1 primary drive with a final ratio of 13.37 X 1. He does a lot of rides on a 50 MPH road and reported top speeds over 45 MPH, but told me he normally travels about 40 MPH without the motor "wound up". Please don't use his numbers as a guide because he rides too fast, but he does have HD wheels with serious brakes.
is he still able to start without pedaling?
Belts are available in .375", .393", .410", .468", .500", and .531" to fit our drive. Although some of the belts can be ordered via Auto parts stores, they vary greatly between different companies and often won't fit our drive [too long or too short]correctly.
so if many belts wont work then which belts will work

Hi Jared8783,

It appears the various belt companies will cross reference an existing belt if even close and don't always produce the correct length, width, or style. As an example I purchased 2 belts from the local NAPA store with the same part number and the belts differened by almost an inch in length. A belt I purchased from the local Advance auto store was much thinner and had notches across the backbone. It was because of these differences, EZM is working with a belt company to produce a complete line of belts to fit our drives, and will cost less to the end user. The belts will simply match the correct size that the numbers they represent. The good news is....... Even though some belts don't fit our drive to meet our standards, because of design the drive will allow use of many off-size belts until the correct version can be obtained. Our special "internal" idler will make most off-size belts work, but can't produce the high power transfer rate, and will only transfer approx 92% to 95%.

Please don't take this information wrong as it is possible to find the exact correct replacement belt, often it requires extra effort to accept the liberal conversion of part numbers.

Because of the major differences between suppliers it is of no value to issue part numbers until we compile a list of correct replacement belts [we are currently working on the list], and even then we don't have a guarantee that they will always produce the exact belt in the future.

Currently ALL belts are installed on a "mock up" kit prior to shipping to make sure they meet our high standards.

As you can see by my answer, not all belts are created equal, and makes it impossible to publish part numbers. I just received a large shipment of belts today and I will list the numbers on the wrapper to give you a good idea of how difficult it is to compare them. On the wrapper it lists the following numbers...... Gates # 7265, Dayco #15265, Goodyear #17261, Carlisle #92655 and Canda #9260. None of the numbers actually reflect the correct size as it is .46875" wide and 26.07" long [primary ratio of 2.76 X 1].

As you can see there is a lot involved in producing the perfect American made drive system for our motorbikes, and requires a lot of research and testing to get it right. But the final results make all the effort worthwhile.

The local owner doesn't need to pedal assist the bike, but does leave the stop sign much slower than before. He originally started with the 2.935 X 1 primary ratio.

Have fun,

palmclub

Feb 17, 2010
Los Olivos Ca.
hey Quenton,, got her going again,, up hill from my greenhouse i was clocking26 27 on a bell computer speedo and about 30 32 downhill so thats preety good i dont need to go faster it hurts to much to fall down at this age my body hurts just standing here i,m still having alainment probs thou bottom line my bikes to narrow at the wheel struts so i,m more than likly going to break out another frame and switch everthing over i realy like how qiuit it is {cant Spell worth a damn}

jared8783

May 13, 2009
Elkhart, IN
You can alter the belt type to add more take off power, but it will subtract a little top end. I like it geared a little tall [slower take off] so that the motor is smooth at cruising speed.
Ok so I understand that belts vary from brand to brand

I just want to know how to do what you described above (low gearing)

I recently purchased a q-matic and am trying to gear it as low as possible for hill climbing

I am still left scratching my head on this one

i guess the best question I can think of right now is what variations do i need to look for when browsing belts?

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
If you want to gear it real low, get a big back sprocket. AZbill has a 72 tooth on his & still gets a decent cruising speed.
Jay

Hi Jared8783,

PM me the number on the belt on your Q-Matic and I will advise a replacement belt for different ratios. You must have a 56 tooth rear or larger. Depending on your weight and the incline of the hills you may need to alter the ratios. The Q-matic is designed to take advantage of the motors torque curve and average cruise speeds are centered at the peak. 2-stroke motors continue to develop more HP & Torque as the RPMs rise [to a point], whereas the 4-stroke motor's torque declines at higher RPMs, and for this reason we start with lower numbered ratios and stops the motor from running at peak RPMs all the time.

Just contact me and I will help you tune the drive to your needs, but try it first as a point of reference. It isn't too hard to change the drive belt as compared to changing the rear sprocket. Of course the rear sprocket can add additional options if needed.

I often receive calls advising me it takes "getting use to, but after a few rides, they really like the system". A few after several changes ended back where they started and took the time to let me know "we had it right to start with". Some made major changes
and customized their ride to fit their needs [Bill in AZ]. Sure is nice to have a drive system than can easily be tuned for different "folks with different strokes" LOL....

An example....
I have a large hill [middle of a bridge to allow large boats to pass under] I often need to travel over, and the HS motor surprised me during the first attempt. On my Whizzers it requires a good head start and some require pedal assist just before the crest of the hill. On the first ride of my EZ bike I was only riding at 20 MPH [new motor] and just knew it wouldn't pull the hill, however I opened the throttle a little and it "dug in" and simply went over the hill. I was so shocked, on the return trip I actually stopped at the base of the hill to see how far it would travel before I would need to use the pedals. The bike did well until about 3/4 of the way; it slowed, "dug in", and just pulled the hill once again. It seams when the load was increased and it dropped the RPMs it was at the peak of the torque it just dug in and pulled hard.

More good news, Mike is testing another HD belt in the 2.935 X 1 ratio and should add a fraction more power transfer [might be exactly what you are looking for]. Jay in PA is reporting some amazing information on increased top end speeds and ratio differences between belt options. My test bike is near 1900 miles on the wedge belt and although originally I didn't like the ratio, I now plan to leave it alone.

Have fun,