Super High Rev at Idle or No Idle, Help!

GoldenMotor.com

Sparks66

Nov 4, 2009
San Jose, Ca
I bought a chrome exhaust from Spooky Tooth for 15 bucks because they advertise at 25 power gain. Well over the old exhaust I went from 28 to 35 mph. The problem is that I cannot set my idle properly. It either dies out with the clutch engaged or it will rev super extremely high. I cannot figure out what is the problem. I never had an idle issue with the old exhaust. Maybe it's not the new exhaust and my carb is dirty? If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would sure appreciate it.
Sparks

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Dirty carb or air leak!
Also, only hand tighten the top of the carb that holds in the slider... If you use a wrench, (too tight), it can warp the carb body & cause the slider to stick!

Matheneyr3

Jun 4, 2009
Carolinas
I gotta agree with the Pros here...had the same problem- was my carb gasket.....also had a small leak at the clamp where carb and manifold meet- gasket material from the local auto parts store and a little silicone solved it for me.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
make sure your throttle cable's not sticking, and that it's not too tight.

if your idle screw isn't working, the cables probably too tight. the slide will sit just above the notch for the screw, and it'll rev to the moon.

reading your post again, check for the airleak first.

also, to ease your mind, it's really doubtful your exhaust has anything to do with it, as it's totally unrelated to the problem. it's probably something that happened while installing that exhaust, like dropping your bike on the ground...

Last edited:

Sparks66

Nov 4, 2009
San Jose, Ca
Thanks everyone. The manifold gasket blew out and when I replaced it, the problem stopped. Unfortunately, my bike no longer pushes 35 mph. It's back to about 28 mph. I guess the air leak really helped with power but the trade off isn't worth it.
Sparks