advice from a wood butcher...

GoldenMotor.com

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Deacon, over the years I made a lot of frames out of scraps left over from the funiture that I made or took apart to remake. It was fun but as you say it was not a huge money maker.

Hand tools when I was younger were fun but today look more like an torture machine.
The days of anyone wanting furniture made that had to be museum quality are long gone as far as I see.

Fire up the belt sander I'll make it fit.

Steve.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Trust me I would love to sell them to you but I don't have the raw files any longer. I might find them someday and if I do, I'll contact you. I have about five hundred cd's I'll have to look through. It was part of an experiment in aging digital files and i'm not sure I even saved them. Probably somewhere though.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Since you were asking I went back and began my search for old files. I did find some I will try top set up a web page with them but I found this image and thought it worth making a comment though. At the time i made this self portrait I was a member of a forum about photography. I listened and listened to those guys hyping their new expensive digital cameras. I heard them savaging anything but the top end digitals but allowing that us old timers could still do things with film cameras that were pretty darn cool.

I kept saying over and over et nausium that it ain't what's in your hand it's what's in your head that makes you a good or great photographer. It fell on deaf ears. You know the old sure, sure thing. So I shot this image... It's a self portrait made with a 50buck point and shoot digital camera. As a matter of fact it is the same one I shoot images for this place with. Anyway it's my self portrait of a photographer done on the cheap.

What made the other users really angry is that I did it with one shot no proofs no other poses to choose from. It was the only shot I made period. lol And yes I have on two pairs of glasses at once. I do that to read small print..

Last edited:

leftywoody

Aug 23, 2008
Lagrange Indiana
Deacon , I use to watch a Canadian PBS broadcast called Router Workshop . These guys are so good that they can make a picture frame ,take a picture ,and cook moose burgers , all with a router . I got on their website and in there 400 series dvd number 402 for $4.95 you can get a wealth of information about framing . I wouldn't be suprised if they would show you how to get accurate miters with a router . Just a thought .............John

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
My brother brought his four year old computer up for me to rebuild. I'm going to use it for the photo project. I was describing my plan to make frames. He said for gods sake don't buy a router. I have one and I am never going to use it again. I even have a frame jig for gluing them up.

So in the next couple of months I'm going to get a router gifted to me. This whole project is turned out to be paid for by my family. Strange.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
What I did before was to drill a pilot hole using a small brad as a bit then drive the same size brad into the hole but it would dig its way in the last half inch or so. It worked very well so I plan to do that again.

I might look into an electric shooter they make one similar to a staple gun I think. That might work but I don't want this to be a production operation lol. I'm going to shoot pictures from now till spring then build frames on nice days. I should be ready to go to the shows by late spring or early summer when they are in beginning.

When I was a member of the artist league, I used to promote art and craft shows. My wife loved shopping while I sat in the sun. I think she would be all for it. I kind of like the idea of those shows again.

something like this

I think I'm going to shoot mini posters and frame them rather than heavy art this time.

Last edited: