wireless network (spit)

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
When my wife retired she wanted a laptop with nothing attached to it, so I setup a wireless network. Since I had it I removed my cable network and bought a wireless transmitter for my computer as well.

It proved to be a monumental screwup. The wireless ran at best half speed, at worst 1/3 speed. I put up with the slower performance okay but it kept dropping me. Not to mention the nano second losses of connection the locked up the browser. I use my computer too much to tolerate that. So I reinstalled my regular cable network today. I had to do a few new things to it, but it's back working like a network should. I used the wireless gateway for my wife's computer.

I don't know about anyone else's wireless net but mine sucked eggs.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Belkin wireless i don't know the model. I am still using it wireless for the wife and cable for me. My speed is back where it should be and my brower works all the time again no freezing.

skjjoe

Mar 9, 2009
Boerne Texas
belkin huh dont know about that one. Im using a linksys router and have never had a problem even with streaming vids and ive got two laptops on it at the same time . are you on cable internet?dsl? I did have problems when i was on dsl.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
dsl but i never had problems till the wireless router... The whole thing is the wireless i have is a bottleneck speed wise. The wireless will not support more than 54k which is really fast dialup speed. There maybe faster ones but I didn't have it. Going with a cable into the router puts it back at 128k and is more secure, not from theft but from misreads.

skjjoe

Mar 9, 2009
Boerne Texas
As long as you dont need the mobility. I will plug in if im just sitting in my chair (which is most of the time) its much faster.

TheE

Jun 26, 2009
Canada
You sure it's not 54 MBps? That's the most common 802.11g wireless standard. Also way faster than almost any DSL connection. Idk why you were having trouble...I've been running wireless G for a long time at that speed and it works great.

Edit: Sometimes routers have weird power save modes which are enabled by default and reduce output. Gotta dig through them settings =]

Last edited:

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Edit: Sometimes routers have weird power save modes which are enabled by default and reduce output. Gotta dig through them settings =]
Exactly what I was thinking. Netgear is a bad one, they have a setting that is like a circuit breaker for connections, exceed the predetermined number of connections and it'll lock down until you reboot the router.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
you are right it is megs... and thats what it does, just locks down and sometimes so tight I have to reboot the thing. I am back on cable an its much faster and much more reliable. I am just going to leave it for the wife. It is a g by the way.