Bike Stops when Starting

GoldenMotor.com

Kevron99

Aug 11, 2009
Howell, New Jersey
I do not know why this is happening. When I bring the bike to the right momentum to start the engine, and when I release the cluth the bike skids to a full stop and like some one had stepped on the brake. What could be wrong? Please help.

Kevron99

Aug 11, 2009
Howell, New Jersey
Is it locking the rear wheel up in a skid?
yes it locked up the rear wheel and skids. It happened on 2 attempts. The first time it happened I check the engine sprocket that I thought it was the engine got stuck up. When I dis engage the clutch the sprocket is moving so it was not a case of stuck up engine. Realine all the wheels and chain again and tried it the second time and it locks up again and breaks the chain. I now suspecting the chain links as I have used the wallmart brand. Reading on other thread the wall mart brand is not appropriate to the MB chain.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
The fact that it rolls fine until you pop the clutch, tells me that its probably not the chain or sprockets. The chain has no 'slack' in it, right?
Pull off the cover on the right side & see if there is anything obviously wrong?

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Do this little experiment... pull out the spark plug & see if you can spin the engine around by spinning the rear wheel. (let the clutch lever out of course)

Kevron99

Aug 11, 2009
Howell, New Jersey
Do this little experiment... pull out the spark plug & see if you can spin the engine around by spinning the rear wheel. (let the clutch lever out of course)
Yes thanks...I will do both of your advise. Pull out the right side and inspect. Then remove the spark plugs disengage the sprocket and spin the wheels. As for the chain there was no slack. Right now I am buying a new 415 chain. Thanks

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Don't disengage the sprocket!! I want to know if there is anything wrong in the engine... so, spin the wheel to make the engine spin!
The engine should turn over very easy!

ALSO... check in the magnito cover for any possible problems.

Last edited:

rdrunner2010

Sep 24, 2009
Maine
I had this happen to me also, your sprockets have to be alligned fairly perfectly. If they aren't, and the chain isn't straight and it's not feeding onto the sprocket straight then it will pop off and the engine sprocket will not turn it and it will break.

Kevron99

Aug 11, 2009
Howell, New Jersey
Don't disengage the sprocket!! I want to know if there is anything wrong in the engine... so, spin the wheel to make the engine spin!
The engine should turn over very easy!

ALSO... check in the magnito cover for any possible problems.

I did all that was suggested. Remove the plugs, check magneto, re-align...etc. Wow...the engine starts and the wheel did not locked up. I do not know what I did in the beggining why it did not start from the first time though...But I felt so relieved when it starts...

Now, here is another issue. The bike does not idle! When I release the throttle the engine stops. When I turn the throttle half way the bike does very minimal idling. It seems out of air and chocking. Then when it is in full throttle then it goes to full RPM and the bike zooms. I check the carburator slider and made sure the pin is inside the hole. I am pretty sure of this becuase the slider dropped all the way to the bottom. Then i checked the spring and the throttle return it seems fine. Any idea what is going on? Thanks.

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Is the choke lever down???

How much oil did you mix in the gas???

What's the plug gap?

Also, turn the idle screw in to keep the idle up.

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Here's a good one that I just thought of... Is the carb needle 'C' clip above or below the little washer with the slot in it?? The washer is supposed to hold the needle down!

Kevron99

Aug 11, 2009
Howell, New Jersey
Is the choke lever down???

How much oil did you mix in the gas???

What's the plug gap?

Also, turn the idle screw in to keep the idle up.
Whoah...technical question. I hope I can answere them all...here it is.

How much oil...16.1 this is what the instruction says on my kit

Whats the plug gap? I am totally clueless. I do not know the specs. The kit instructions do not mention this.

I do not know where the idle screws are? where are they btw?

How about the choke lever? is this the white lever? if so I had it down when starting.

Sorry I am really new to all this things......

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Whoah...technical question. I hope I can answere them all...here it is.

How much oil...16.1 this is what the instruction says on my kit

Whats the plug gap? I am totally clueless. I do not know the specs. The kit instructions do not mention this.

I do not know where the idle screws are? where are they btw?

How about the choke lever? is this the white lever? if so I had it down when starting.

Sorry I am really new to all this things......
Ok... lets go through these one at a time...

16:1 is way too much oil!!! Use 24:1.... 16:1 is for the old days when they used to mix motor oil in the gas!!! now a days we have 2-stroke oil, & you don't need as much of it in the gas!

Next, Plug gap should be .030 ish.

The white lever is a fuel shut off valve. point it down for "on", (sideways for "off") There is another metal lever just above that one... that's the choke. point it down also!!!

Try these things & see how the bike runs.

JD-StukNchaoS

Dec 29, 2008
santa paula, Calif.
hopefully you got her by now, but if not and you followed the advice of venice,.,,.try re-adjusting your clutch pack,.,.my last build had simular clutch issues. But first check sprocket alignment and Also de-burr the pinion sprocket as it can lock up the chain during rotation. It also may have the piston wedged at TDC due to the squish so use caution when you assist it's cycle down, you may just remove the head and check for shiny areas or flattened lip on the head where improper milling may have taken place, or just an over-torqed head bolt. I concur on the ratio, all my 2 strokes run 927 @ 32:1 with your set up it's fighting to ignite fuel and will almost always foul out or just puke unburnt fuel all over your shoes,.,.GL Stuk

Last edited:

eggi96

Oct 5, 2008
Australia
wat might be happening is that the clutch cable joined to the engine is too tight so when you release the clutch the clutch shoes are still grabbing on and causing the bike to skid. The way this can be fixed is by moving the cable clamp ( the little round thing on the cable where the clutch arm is) down the cable a bit to release some tension
Hope this helps

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
I am having the same issue with my bike skidding after releasing the clutch at about 10mph,it was running great 5 minutes before trying to start it up.When I went to start it up for the second time,a strange rattling noise came from the drive side gear.

I removed the clutch cover all seems fine there.

Next I took the spark plug out with the clutch disengaged the bike would not move at all..

While I move my bike forward,there is a knocking noise from the drive side gear.

Any suggestions? Thank you.