Brake for the 20" springer

GoldenMotor.com

trackfodder

Sep 8, 2008
I have an old Schwinn 20" with a B&S model N 1-1/2 hp I have taken a new interest in. It had a 26" spring fork from a banana-seated Stingray and I started to scuttle it for the fork for my 3-speed Monark but the stem and legs were too short, so back it goes. It had a handlebar basket with a big square Briggs tank in it and was a new generation of UGLY. If I can find a used HT tank worth the money it would scale out cute like a Wheezer tank on a 26. Also re-finding the new Wald chrome fenders is a plus. If I re-commission it I will want a front brake. I think if I mill leg slots in an aluminum block and put a piece on the back of the legs to clamp to, I should be able to mount a caliper brake just over the wheel and incorporate a tab for the fender. (remember it's a 20" wheel in a 26" fork)
With the shape my knee cartilage is in I wouldn't think twice about it, but it has an old BMX seat shaped like a big brick that resembles an old Bates scrambles seat and I can actually sit on it.
As for the "rear ender from Hades" project, I am currently thinking of putting a Sturmey-Archer rear wheel tranny on it with a peddle sprocket to give me gearing options I might need for taking off with the rather small diameter split spring pulley on the jackshaft. I could operate in 2nd so the parts don't have to operate for cruising. The freewheeling means I have to depend on a caliper on the rear unless I can design a disc for the other side. Maybe I could clamp one on like a HT sprocket against the S-A tranny drum. Any ideas out there that don't take money? Keith Williams.bld.

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
I have an old Schwinn 20" with a B&S model N 1-1/2 hp I have taken a new interest in. It had a 26" spring fork from a banana-seated Stingray and I started to scuttle it for the fork for my 3-speed Monark but the stem and legs were too short, so back it goes. It had a handlebar basket with a big square Briggs tank in it and was a new generation of UGLY. If I can find a used HT tank worth the money it would scale out cute like a Wheezer tank on a 26. Also re-finding the new Wald chrome fenders is a plus. If I re-commission it I will want a front brake. I think if I mill leg slots in an aluminum block and put a piece on the back of the legs to clamp to, I should be able to mount a caliper brake just over the wheel and incorporate a tab for the fender. (remember it's a 20" wheel in a 26" fork)
With the shape my knee cartilage is in I wouldn't think twice about it, but it has an old BMX seat shaped like a big brick that resembles an old Bates scrambles seat and I can actually sit on it.
As for the "rear ender from Hades" project, I am currently thinking of putting a Sturmey-Archer rear wheel tranny on it with a peddle sprocket to give me gearing options I might need for taking off with the rather small diameter split spring pulley on the jackshaft. I could operate in 2nd so the parts don't have to operate for cruising. The freewheeling means I have to depend on a caliper on the rear unless I can design a disc for the other side. Maybe I could clamp one on like a HT sprocket against the S-A tranny drum. Any ideas out there that don't take money? Keith Williams.bld.
I have a disk brake off of a minibike it is going on the front hub of my latest build.
Either manic mechanics hub, or a rag clamp off a happytime sprocket.

Cheap brakes4me