I get it running & it throttles up, it dies completely, but it will start right up

GoldenMotor.com

30Ratt

Mar 8, 2011
Lewes, DE
Grubee 66

Got rid of the fuel shut off valve, replaced it w. a nipple & a in line filter. fuel flowing now.

When I get it running & it throttles up, it dies completely, but it will start right up again. This process repeated itself several times until I realized that if I flicked the choke it would not stall (it seemed to catch hold when I released the choke).

This morning I checked the plug. The post was gray and dry. The arms were slightly oily. I did notice one of the three arms was much closer than the other 2. I corrected this and replaced it. I have not attempeted a start yet.

The kill switch didn't kill the engine. It changed the way it ran, but didnt kill it. I had it wired back into the engine, as the DVD directions suggested.

PS: Good reason for the kill switch is that if the chain jumps, you need to stop the engine w. shoe pressure on the sprocket.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
Re: I get it running & it throttles up, it dies completely, but it will start right u

If the kill switch didn't kill it you have your white wire in the circuit - just cap the white wire by itself and leave it alone. If it's not in circuit - then reevaluate your grounding wire, be sure you have a solid contact.

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
Re: I get it running & it throttles up, it dies completely, but it will start right u

Concur with above, if all the basics are covered, check the carb. the main jet/tube(brass) in carb. bowl may have loosened and fell off

Mac

30Ratt

Mar 8, 2011
Lewes, DE

Thanks Guys!
Taped off white wire.
Applied goop to seal of any air bleed between the carb and intake. It helped.
Idles fine now.
Still bogs though.
Got an e-mail from bike berry. Seem to be quite hepful.
CLEAR TUBES FROM CARB ARE AIR BREATHERS & DONT NEED TO BE HOOKED TO ANYTHING! (Hooda Thunkit!)
Will check the main jet in bowl next.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho

Can I take a guess and venture to assume that you have a CNS v2/gen b carb? (red air filter cover)

As well, one of your clear tubes are fuel overflow, regardless of whichever CNS carb you have.

30Ratt

Mar 8, 2011
Lewes, DE

Give that man a cigar! Yes, red cheesy air filter cover.
This morning BikeBerry sent me some pretty detailed instructions on how to tune this thing.
Do you have a carb. reccomendation for the Grubbee 66 if this dosn't work out?

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho

Sure - anything besides the CNSv2! :D

In my experience the one time I messed with one of those (for like 5 hours), it felt like a choke issue. You could hold the back wheel off the ground and it would hit max RPM - but jump on it and ride and you get 5 MPH and anything more than 1/4 throttle starts to kill it with no speed increase.

Mind reposting the BikeBerry instructions on how they say to tune?

Honestly, the NT carbs are cheap and relatively good to go right out of the box. Looking at 15-25 depending on the retailer, not counting shipping. With some hunting, I'm sure you could find one for 10 before shipping. A Dellorto carb is great, but has a price tag of 60 or so. A Speed carb would be cool if you can find one (let me know if you do). ThatsDax.com has Dellorto clones for 30. There's also the original CNS carbs - which I haven't tinked with, but people say they're great.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho

Still digging around for a CNSv2 fix - pulled this up ~

biken stins said:
This was on Spooky Tooth a while back.
Ports on the CNS carburetor-
The pink tube that comes attached to the carb out of the box can be disregarded. The port tubes are for various purposes. One port tube is for equalizing pressure in the float bowl, and another is a vacuum.

Adjusting the carb-
The front screw is for the idle, the rear screw is for air/fuel. Set the idle to a good speed. Then "blip" the throttle and listen to how long it takes for the idle to return back to normal. Adjust the air/fuel screw so that mix just gets rid of the lingering idle. Run the bike for a while and pull the spark plug to check the condition. If the plug is dry, tan or white then you should turn the air/fuel screw in so that you richen the mixture. This will help keep your engine cool and well lubricated, especially at higher rpms.

30Ratt

Mar 8, 2011
Lewes, DE

You rattled off several carb options. I have learned not to cheap-out, however $60 is a little steep. Sounds like the 'ThatsDax.com has Dellorto clones for 30' is the direction you'd reccommend, correct?If so, I probably would order one today. Whats it called?

Here is BikeBerry's thoughts:

To get the best performance, please follow these steps:

1. Set the fuel/air adjusting screw all the way down.
2. Remove the metal plate that houses the slide and jet needle attached to the carburetor.
3. Set the jet needle valve C-clip to its highest setting (the setting that allows the jet needle to go in the furthest).
4. Turn the fuel/air adjusting screw 6-8th of a turn out.
5. Test the bike by riding it.
6. If the engine is bogging, fuel leaking from the carburetor, or any improper performance, stop the bike and turn out the adjusting screw another 6-8th of a turn.
7. Repeat steps 5&6.
8. If you screw the adjusting screw all the way out with no satisfactory result, set the C-clip on the jet needle to the second setting, set the adjusting screw all the way down and repeat steps 4-7 until you get desired results.

30Ratt

Mar 8, 2011
Lewes, DE

Is it the 'thatsdax.com :: 'Carburetor RT 15mm High Performance' for $29.--?

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho

I can't vouch for it's performance - I mentioned the other day I was wanting to get a dellorto and someone referenced me to it. I can get you a link though.

Page Title

It's at the bottom right of the page.

I would try the SpookyTooth tips and the BikeBerry tips first of course though.

ADD :

Yup, that's the one.

Last edited:

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho

motorizedmatt said:
I fixed it. On this new style carb there is alittle black breather hose on the right. I un plugged it from the top and now it runs good
GearNut said:
He hosed the carb. Um... err.... re-connected the breather hose correctly. When brand new the hoses are not routed correctly. They seem to be just stuck onto the various hose barbs as a way to hold them for packing and shipping.
Might be some success here as well - let me know if there's any luck!

EDIT ADD:

Out on the other forum I saw this - though it didn't specify if it was V2 or V1, but a guy said "dealer told me to remove all hoses, and after that it worked great" (paraphrased). I imagine if I had a CNSv2 I would get to this point, but probably from holding it by the hoses and swinging it into the street. :D

Last edited:

30Ratt

Mar 8, 2011
Lewes, DE

OK
I now have four ways to run at this thing...
Going to order the Deltoro clone as a premptive (sp?) measure.
If all else fails, maybe the carb will make a good weight for fishing in the rocks for Tautog.

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida

if it still bogs, take your gas tank cap off and run it like that if it stays running, then drill a hole in the side of the cap ABOVE the rubber gasket. or drill a hole in the top and hot glue a waterbottle cap over it and drill a hole in the side of the water bottle cap. the most reliable carb that works right out of the box is the stock nt carb.

Last edited:

30Ratt

Mar 8, 2011
Lewes, DE

OK. All has failed. This carb is headed for the bay. Ordered Deltoro clone & CFI (just in case).

30Ratt

Mar 8, 2011
Lewes, DE

The deltoro clone on thatsdax.com worked like a dream! Thanks guys

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho

Awesome! I'm glad to hear you're all up and running then! :D