Making the jet smaller

GoldenMotor.com

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
I understand the soldering and drilling asspect of reducing the size the jet but I havent seen or read anywhere where you can get a smaller needle. Do you need to make one? I'm not going to attempt this yet. Engines still in break in period and I'm fairly happy with the way they are running after leaning the fuel mix with the needle, only 4 strokeing on the very top end. I will wait at least untill the first two tanks are ran to lean any further. Just curious on the availibility of or how to make a new smaller needle.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
You've the right idea on waitin' for the motor to break in before messin' with it too much - but TBH while many folks here do the "solder & drill" technique... the way I see it the stock carb included with these kits may not be worth the effort (beyond satisfying the urge to tinker ofc).

It really sounds like you've got it as "dialed in" as yer gonna get with the stock equipment already anyway - these Chinese engines are known for their four stroking habits (grats BTW - took me a heck of a lot longer with my first one lol) - if you really wanna fine tune it beyond what you already have, I'd suggest upgrading the carburetor - there's nothing like havin' an air/fuel adjustment screw for example heh

Even the new CNS Carburetor is light-years better than the stock POS... normally I'm defo all about the "do-it-yerself" but after messin' around with the stock ones I've come to the conclusion they're not really worth any effort beyond clip settings... or beaning them out into the ocean ;)

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
Thanks for the link to the cns carb, i must have missed seeing it in my search's! I think I will wait and see how the engines do after break in. I am happy with they now, and realize they are not thousand dollar mx engines. I am really surprised with the performace for the dollar though, what a kick in the pants, and so much more fun now that my son has his own (trying to teach the brain child how a screw drver works!). r.ly.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
There IS a lot to be said for even the stock kit, fine tuned a little - I for one am glad you appreciate that! Those of us that go for multiple mods, trying to squeeze out every last drop of power and those that mistakenly think they're buying a motorcycle inna box for $150 tend to loose sight of that a bit sometimes lol

Additionally I gotta say I can't think of a better father/son activity than buildin' and ridin' these things together - way to go man (^)

Outa curiosity - how old is yer "brain child"?