the rotax build, the X

GoldenMotor.com

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
Well, I bought my friend sheldon's old 250cc rotax 2 stroke for 30$, and it came with both parts of the torqe converter. So, I figured I might as well start a build thread seeing as how slowly the henderson is coming along, being limited by my shortage of sheet metal for the gas tank.

This isn't the exact motor, but it is the exact same model.

scratg

Its most likely going into a lightly chopped and heavily reinforced cantilever frame.

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
Didn't do much to the rotax today, nor to the henderson. Mainly the only thing I got done concerning this, was some creative starring at the fork. I'm making a leaf spring for this leviathan. Its a leaf spring off the old snowmobile that this motor came off of actually.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Rotax made some of the best two-strokes I ever owned.dnut
Be sure you put GOOD brakes on this beast....It's gonna be EPIC!
BTW....30$? I hate you. You stole that motor. Lucky man, just sick lucky.
Keep us posted on the build.
dnut

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
Haha, I've got brakes covered. Using old honda dirtbike hubs, and maybe the complete wheels if they're okay (and not in the collapsed part of the old outbuilding where all blown up motorcycles go to corrode)

I might use an old husqvarna dirt bike gas tank that I have, that is in really nice shape.

Also, today I brought the motor home today, looked into the exhaust port and seen it only has one piston ring? But two grooves on the piston. Thought it was kinda odd.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Haha, I've got brakes covered. Using old honda dirtbike hubs, and maybe the complete wheels if they're okay (and not in the collapsed part of the old outbuilding where all blown up motorcycles go to corrode)

I might use an old husqvarna dirt bike gas tank that I have, that is in really nice shape.

Also, today I brought the motor home today, looked into the exhaust port and seen it only has one piston ring? But two grooves on the piston. Thought it was kinda odd.
If it has two ring grooves, it needs two rings. Might be why it was 30$. Id look into that before starting it...Still a great bargain even if it needs parts.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
old racing trick, running a single ring reduces friction. down side is you have to rering it more often, its a fairly common moped trick.
I still think it's a bad idea. The friction savings don't make up for the extra wear and piston rocking.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I raced motocross for years and I never heard of this so called "mod" doing anything but causing extra wear on piston and cylinder. Don't second guess the factory, ESPECIALLY Rotax. They are know as quality engines for a reason.

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
Well, I bought my friend sheldon's old 250cc rotax 2 stroke for 30$, and it came with both parts of the torqe converter. So, I figured I might as well start a build thread seeing as how slowly the henderson is coming along, being limited by my shortage of sheet metal for the gas tank.

Charlie for sheet metal cheap go to your local junk yard, hoods and beds are pretty flat on trucks specially Fords. Find a damaged one with enough metal for your tank, make a deal ( they'd love to sell a crap part cheap) then cut out what ya need. It should only set ya back a few bucks.