Another clutch

GoldenMotor.com

magicalpancake

Jul 6, 2009
Denver
one of my clutch pads on my 5.8 snapped in half the other day and "seized" my motor. peddled a good 10 miles back home. gonna post up pictures on a new thread later

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
one of my clutch pads on my 5.8 snapped in half the other day and "seized" my motor. peddled a good 10 miles back home. gonna post up pictures on a new thread later
That's exactly what happened to mine, these clutches are horrible. I hear Alex's clutch on his 9.4 screwed up again?

spit_fire

Aug 28, 2009
Brampton
im new to the morini and sure enough i had the same unfortunate event happen to mine, but of course with my luck the shoe dug into the cover and now i have fillings everywhere, any suggestions on how to clean out the filings?

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Three shoe clutches are cherry...The two shoe clutches are junk. I have yet to break a three shoe. On my Morini S6S/Boxer I tried to wear it out ''3shoe'' all summer! The clutch is still perfect and in a wet oil bath seriously it is barely worn. 3000+ miles now!

The three little bolts that hold the washer stacks/shoes on the hub ''do not tighten them more than 8 foot pounds guys''. That is what the lock tight is for. A bolt that size in any application is not worthy of uber strength torquing.

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
I love my 3 shoe clutch it makes the bike feel like its got a high stall convertor. Although I probably have mine torqued to more than 8 ft/lbs simply because my Snap On doesnt register that low.
But Goat Herder is absolutely correct you MUST use the oil resistant lock tight. Its kinda hard to find and I got mine offline since non of the parts houses had it in town.

spit_fire

Aug 28, 2009
Brampton
were can i get the oil resistant locktight, and will the red stuff not work (if you use it before you submerge the clutch in oil?)

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

I have used both with the red I use ''very little''. Red is a ''permanent'' thread locker and will take heat to make it let go.

With the blue lock tight I use it liberally and it is a serviceable thread locker. Meaning ya don't have to fineness it with heat to get the hardware ''threads'' loose.

http://motorbicycling.com/f30/locktite-how-remove-6957.html

Just like painting a car etc. If you do not get the oil off the surface the paint will not stick. My favorite product for this is simply a tiny squirt from a brake cleaner aerosol can.. as it leaves no oil residue.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
When I think about it I kinda like the blue more than the red. I have not ever had my clutch bolts come loose yet. It ain't a coming loose with the red. For a newbe red loctite might be a bad experience?:oops:laff

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Red loc-tite, when used with low strength fasteners or over applied by someone not used to the strength, can have disappointing or disastrous results.
I know, I learned the hard way......

Edit: 8 ftlbs = 96inlb. If you have an inch pound torque wrench that may help you out.

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Yeah the more I think about it a newbe should just use the ''blue'' loctite. Some one is bound to mess that up and make a costly mistake with the red!!:( With my last two morini engines I have yet to see the blue fail me.

spit_fire

Aug 28, 2009
Brampton
so the red stuff will work just fine? im a big fan of the red stuff i use a permatex one its great it hold and generally had no problems with it comming off (unless mayb if left alone for years), i thought the yellow was the permanent one, i know some gm vehicles use the yellow on the cradle bolts from the factory and my ohhh my do they need a good umphhh behind them to crack those bad boys loose

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I should have never mentioned the red . I have reservations of the problems it will cause someone. When I am in a pinch I use very little of it. I think you can't go wrong with the blue myself used liberally ..

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Permatex and Loctite both sell threadlocking compounds colored red.
By my personal experience I can attest without a doubt that the Permatex one is not nearly as strong as Loctite.

spit_fire

Aug 28, 2009
Brampton
hey Goat i just got my new clucth, its the 3 shoe high performance one, and it came with a roller bearing instead of the the bushing in the basket and as well as another set of spring washer, now should i switch to the new spring washer right of the bat (i was gonna use the original and keep the other ones for backup), now my old basket was sandwiched between two washer im assuming i should reuse those washers to keep the roller bearing from rubbing up against the crank seal and the reverse nut that holds on the backet please correct me if im wrong and any other tips or advice with instaling the new clucth, also should i just use a screwdriver as a piston stop threw the sparkplug whole to keep the engine from turning over or will that damadge the piston (obviesly i would be very cautious with the screwdriver manuever)

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Wow all of mine have the bushing. Now I want one of these new clutches to see it!:D I like the roller bearing me thinks.

You prolly got an extra set of bevel washers which is a plus. That thick washer goes between the clutch and the bell just like your two shoe did. As for holding the clutch still to get the crank nut off I have carefully gotten a screw driver to lodge through one of the holes and the engine case webbing to lock things still but don't prefer that method.

As for the screw driver through the piston hole sounds Leary to me?

I made a specialty socket to work with my 3/8'' impact gun. Another trick that I found works really good is I have a cheapy set of Chinese brand channel lock pliers. The plasti dip style insulation is gone from its handles. I simply lodge the handles in between the clutch shoes then hold a wrench through the handles whilst working a wrench at the crank nut. Works like a charm for me!

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
My pliers were a little like this I set the handle gap to line right up. They were a medium size pair.

Morini Franco USA

Also meant to say I cleaned my present BoXer S6S clutch out once in going on 4000 miles now and I learned to change the clutch oil more regularly. I just cleaned out all the trash accumulation from between the bevel spring washers once . Unless you get the Morini motor mad piping hot I found in my own experience any way the washers hold their springy ness quit well. I am still running the original washers and clutch and I routinely run this bike like a scalded dog!

I know that there are a carbon steel bevel washers and a stainless steel washers available. I reckon the stainless steel ones are better and thats what is in my stock clutch ?

I was extremely sinfully severe with my first motor and it survived..:p I would test things on very long steep hills etc severely testing my theories like a mad man. I was testing the very boundaries and breaking points of my first creation.. its a terrible sickness lol. What I run now is flawless to me. That was my J shaft nuvinci wheel abomination. I was revving too much for too long under extreme loads at times and doing ridiculous stuff.. I like these motors ''much better'' as a single speed now :p The old saying the kiss principle.

Last edited:

spit_fire

Aug 28, 2009
Brampton
yes these engines are quite the beaut! im admiring them more and more as i get to know them, i believe i have the carbon ones already in the clucth and they gave me the stainless steel ones as optional as they are better but i was going to give the carbin ones a try first see how i like them