Rear sproket mounting for trikes

GoldenMotor.com

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
I am considering building myself a trike and I have a friend who is wanting me to convert his Izip electric trike to china girl power. The only real question I have is how is the sproket mounted to the trike axle? I cant seem to find any clear pictures. I would think the right size "sleeve" with a sproket welded to it then slipped over the axle in the right alignment would do the trick but is there a better way? would one of Manic's adapters work for this? I like spooky's kit but still dont really see how the rear sproket is mounted. Any pics or advice would be much apprecited.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Blue,
If you have access to a machine shop or have one that will do some custom work for you, your idea will work just fine. I made the hub from an old fan hub. It already had the right size bore, 5/8", and all I needed to do was center the 41T sprocket and drill holes. I would suggest using a keyed shaft and hub to prevent slipping. Set screws alone might not hold the sprocket tight enough to the axle shaft.
Jim at Manic Mechanic could make one but he'll need to know the exact diameter of your axle shaft.
Tom

Attachments

Last edited:

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
Yes a keyed shaft and collar would be best for sure. I am thinking about a jackshaft also- which would eliminate alot of the issues but in trying to keep costs down I think I'll just start with finding the bike and go from there! "NOTHING TO IT BUT TO DO IT!". Thanks for the nice clear pics!

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
From what I've seen adding an engine to a trike kitted bike would be simple since you could pretty much either bolt a sprocket to the hub on the bike frame or use double threaded hub since you're not having to deal with an entire wheel and spokes.

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
here is a pic of my trike if it help any mine is 1950-1960 monterey murray cruiser coverted to a trike
I have seen pics of your bike and I really like the dual exhaust, looks very cool! My cruiser is also a murray but I am not sure of the year- every part is stamped Tennessee which I think is pretty neat. I am wondering if spooky tooths kit has some special adapter to mount the sproket? I would rather spend the money on a jackshaft than the spooky tooth kit but interested to know. Thanks for the pics of your bike. Where did you find that saddle?

AzToker

Feb 28, 2010
Too Stoned, Az
Chopper us has a new heavy duty trike kit that comes with the drive hub. U can use this n go with the jack shaft kit. What i was told, Spooky tooth is out of these trike kit at the moment. The one from chopper us is 199.00 which is about right. Good luck with ur build.

big-e

Jan 21, 2011
st augustine FL
Has anybody thought about using a comet clutch on one of these things? maybe a jackshaft setup with a variable ratio clutch like this ( Drive System Kits for 3 to 8hp Engines ) i had one on 2 different creations of mine. One was a three wheeled beast with 22" mud tires on the back. 13hp honda, it would smoke the rear wheeels with no brakes on just throttle AND would run almost 75 mph. I could keep up with cars on the freeway while i was riding in the field that ran parallel with it. If i had the money i would definantly use one of those clutches in my build.