When your throttle cable snaps...

GoldenMotor.com
Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia
Hey guys, I want to show you my creative fix, on a problem that I'm not sure is common. Lol, it's of course a temporary fix, until I recieve my new cable in the mail. See, I was riding along, when all of a sudden my throttle let go, and could spin around the handlebar with zero resistance. My cable snapped right at the bud, inside the throttle handle. It apparently bent too much, and was frayed? Anyone else experience this? Anyways, here are some pics of what I did, so that I may still ride whilst I wait for my new throttle cable. Lol, hope you all enjoy this, and yes, it works perfectly. HA HA HA!!!

What I did...
Yes, lol. I used twine to wrap the cable to the twist throttle, very tight, because there is no nub on the end of the wire anymore. Then I wrapped the cable sheathing to the brake handle with more twine, locking the two points down. Now it works! I have lost use of my rear brake however, as the cable sleeve is tightly tied to it, I'll have to be careful as not to twist too hard, releasing the cable from the twine binding on the handle. Lol, it's a little rough, but hey, it works. (For now) Lol

I'M AWESOME!

Lol.

Later guys.
:-||

Attachments

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia
Lol, well, I gotta say, so far so good! It's holding up, I can't believe it! Lol. I'm going to order a new throttle cable, but for now, the twine is holding up just fine! Awesome. lol.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
you could have went to Walmart and bought a cable set for about $5.00 and been back in business. You would need to make the end for the throttle cable. I show how to do that.
Plus you would have extra cables when needed again.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
it's a knot. if you tie a bunch of half-hitches around something, it acts like a chinese finger torture toy, where the tighter the rope's pulled, the tighter the knot cinches down.

i was mostly kidding.

Norm's way is the best way. better than waiting a week for cables. if you have some solder, brake cables are only like $1.50.

Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia
I don't have a solder iron or anything to weld with. Lol. I suck, I have like next to no tools. Lol. You could say I'm roughin it right now. :) Honestly though, since I did this temporary fix with the twine, I've not had a single issue with it. I haven't overturned it, or risked much at all on the road. (Riding smart, as I've lost a brake because of temp. fix) The cable isn't slipping or shifting on either the twist handle or the brake handle where the cable sleeve is twinned down. So far so good, so when I order my expansion chamber and HP carb and AF, I'll order a whole new throttle assembly I have wanted a while now, with chrome tip handles. My kill switch is shot, gotta stand and clutch to kill it right now, so a new throttle assembly with a new kill switch is due anyways.

As long as the twine holds up, I'm good for now. :)