Engine just died!!!!

GoldenMotor.com

kornbread

Jan 19, 2010
California
:-||hey whats up?Well i have a RAW 66cc engine and it's been sitting for a couple weeks and today i took it uot with 3 new up grades on it:1)denso irodium power spark plug,2)billet ported intake & 3)a high performance air filter.I have about 100 miles on it and i put about another 20-25 today before it shut down.It's getting gas,everything is turning and the engine is turning when i release the clutch.Did that denso plug cause this?Oh and the kill switch is disconected because it never worked from day one pleasssee help.It seems that i'n not getting any spark i don't know i even put my original plug back in it.What is wrong?:-||

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Take out your spark plug. Once out, put the boot and cable back on it. Leave everything else hooked up. You'll need an extra person to hold up the rear wheel of the bike and/or turn the crank to pedal it. While that's being done, hold your still-connected spark plug with the plug gap near a good ground on the block, but not too close to the carb (you did say you were getting gas). Let out the clutch to turn the engine (should be easier with the plug out) and see if a spark jumps to ground. If so, I'll need somebody else in the forum to jump in. If not, you need to check your wiring, possibly the fit on your plug wire, and MAYBE your CDI. I kinda doubt it's your CDI, but you never know.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Did ya check your wire's to be sure they did not disconnect. The stock wire connectors have a bad habit of coming disconnected.

*Edit, oh, I see Allen already suggested that. Never mind don't listen to me lol.

kornbread

Jan 19, 2010
California
well no i haven't checked for spark but i will tommorrow yes the wires are hooked up.My Question is it hasn't given me any problems till now so can that Denso spark plug have done something to my wire or cdi?:-||

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
yeah, it's possible the connection got messed up, are you still using the stock plug wire? if you are, you took the nipple off the new plug, right? did anything fall out of the plug wire, like the tiny cir-clip that holds it onto the plug?

did the plug wire unscrew from the CDI a little? might heve severed your connection.

let us know after you checked for spark.

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
try your old plug. if spark, problem solved, defective plug.

if not, next step is the wire. make sure it looks good, clicks on the plug good, etc.
and make sure it's screwed into the CDI all the way.

still no spark, upgrade to a 7mm copper core wire, new boot and crimp. any good auto parts store will have it all for around 5 bucks.

if you can't do the crimp yourself, ask if they can do it for you, or walk you through it. it's really simple.

once you get that hooked up, try it with the new plug. if you use your old one, you'll need to take the threaded nipple off the new plug and put it on your old one.

kornbread

Jan 19, 2010
California
ok thanks but i hace 3 pieces that are electircal;CDI, plug wire,and what you was talking about how do i figure out which one is bad?

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
start at the beginning and work your way through it.

it worked with your old plug, right? first step would be to put that back in and try it.

then the plug wire. if that doesn't work, check and/or re-do all your electrical connections.

if it still doesn't work, then it could be your CDI.

basically, you eliminate one thing at a time. it worked before, so put it back to the way it worked. if it doesn't work, then go down the line to the next component.

too many times people just give up and replace everything, when only one thing is messed up. i don't know how many times i read "my bike won't run, i'm buying a new magneto." for some reason, we never seem to hear back from these people.

also, when you take your time and actually diagnose the problem, you're learning. if it happens again, you might be able to do a roadside repair in 5 minutes, 'cause you learned what to look for, and you ain't pushing your bike home.

kornbread

Jan 19, 2010
California
yes i know what your saying.I put the old plug in and no fire and i checked all the wires and nothing so how do i check the plug wire,replace it?

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
i'd just replace it. it's junk anyway. if you don't want to hassle with making your own, you could just buy one ready-made plug wire, chop it in half, and then you'll have two.

i wouldn't even bother testing it. it's crap right out of the box.