Planning first build, need to compile parts

GoldenMotor.com

MitchP

Oct 6, 2012
Santa Rosa, CA
Hello folks, for my first build I am considering the "SkyHawk GT2" (A or S model) I have not picked a motor. Any suggestions here?

My main problem is that I have no idea where to buy the parts. I have googled bike parts, cheap bike parts, but all I can come up with are high-end road bikes seats, shimano this, you know.

Is there already a thread for this? I have searched to no avail.

What I really is a list of parts from about one seller.

Ex. - stem/seat/brakes/cables/chain

I would like the parts to come in kits, like a crank assembly with pedals, etc.

How much more expensive is this going to be than just buying a motor and an old specialized MB? Cost is not an issue to a point, so $600 or less? The less flashy everything is the better it will be.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Just a thought mitch, could buy a used bike and just use the parts. Can some times score some great parts/bikes because they have some thing wrong like a beat up paint job or bent wheel.

MitchP

Oct 6, 2012
Santa Rosa, CA
I don't know what it is about the bay area but people want way too much money junk bikes and junk cars. I need to make a decision though my car is on the lot of today.

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
you can also buy a walmart special for cheap and use its parts if you are going to use that frame i think a mountain bike with dual disks and a front suspension would be a great parts bike just try to figure out the size of the head tube where the forks go and what size the crank tube is first to get the right size doner bike

borntofli

Jul 27, 2012
tx
A lot of great bike for 150-200$ that will be a great motorized ride...Go for a multi speed bike w/ hand brakes and you'll be cruisin w/ a smile....

The first build you will learn alot, and curse alot......

I'm on my third build and learn alot from every problem/success........

MitchP

Oct 6, 2012
Santa Rosa, CA
The best news is that my garage is finally organized, I reassembled my old spin doctor and my friend's dad owns a bike-refirbishing shop so he'll 'fill in' the blanks.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Cool Mitch. An organized work space makes a world of difference. Also a lot more fun to tinker with every thing where you need it.

MitchP

Oct 6, 2012
Santa Rosa, CA
I have ordered ery'thing. I will be a happy man when I am cruising. When I am building I will be sure to build to 'aircraft standards' as in the JakeBike thread.

My mom and friends are puzzled by why I would sell my car, but it has been liberating to let go.