New engine seems seized?

GoldenMotor.com

BoardTrack

Jan 5, 2014
Asheville NC
I Just recently got a two stroke kit for Christmas and have finally gotten it all together and tight(no thanks to the terrible instructions). Today My father and I mixed the directed gas and oil(16:1), rolled the bike to the driveway and it started right up. After convincing my dad that a 300 foot driveway isn't gonna cut it, I brought the bike up to the long nicely angled roads that are NC mountains. There were complications with the rear hub(the bicycles freewheel, not the sprocket) and I had to bring it back to the garage for some work. My dad suggested we put some lithium grease on the engines sprocket (because of the chatter from the sprocket teeth length and for the heck of it), and so we did. I pulled the pin with that 8mm bearing behind it out to slap some grease on thinking it couldn't hurt. Put the thing back together and rolled it to the driveway for a little test run. I pedaled and released the clutch like normal and I just skid out. I tried a few times but to no avail. I also tried turning the rear wheel with the clutch out and it was way too difficult to turn over, I also tried it with the spark plug out. My hopes are high that this is probably a simple little fix but any ideas and advice is welcomed.
Much appreciated,
Spencer

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Pull the cylinder off and see of the crank spins?
You do not need to pull the cylinder to see if the crank spins.
That advice will just make a noob break the rings.

Sorry but I don't understand the original post.

To see if an engine is turning over remove the magneto cover and the exhaust pipe.

Turn the nut on the magneto and look in the exhaust port to see if the piston is turning over with the spark plug removed.

Last edited:

BoardTrack

Jan 5, 2014
Asheville NC
Crank

With the clutch engaged I am able to turn the motor over but it takes way too much force. So the engine is not entirely seized from what I can tell. Is there a way to check the crank's operation without pulling the cylinder head off?

MotorBicycleRacing is right, advice like that will cause more problems than solutions.

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Ok so what r u recommending? We know the chains not Jammed because he can pedal and we know it still doesn't crank with the plug out... So how are u going to tell if the pistons jammed or if the cranks jammed?
I updated my post above.

I don't understand the original post.

To see if an engine is turning over remove the magneto cover and the exhaust pipe.

Turn the nut on the magneto and look in the exhaust port to see if the piston is turning over with the spark plug removed and the chain removed and clutch lever pulled in.

Last edited:

BoardTrack

Jan 5, 2014
Asheville NC
I updated my post above.

I don't understand the original post.

Turn the nut on the magneto and look in the exhaust port to see if the piston is turning over with the spark plug removed.
What part of the OP is it that you do not understand?
The rear wheel will slowly turn with lots of force, therefore the piston must be turning.

a.graham52

Nov 22, 2013
island of misfit toys, maine
When mine was new, I did seem to require more effort to turn over. With you now confirming it does turn over... Maybe remove everything g you did when u added grease and just make sure everything is in it's place preopey.

BoardTrack

Jan 5, 2014
Asheville NC
My mistake, I should not have stated that it turns over, it only barely turns.(please clue me in on what action is defined as "turning over". actually starting up, or just turning)When I first gassed it up, it started on the first run. After greasing and finding it didn't work I went back and cleaned everything out.
Its puzzling why it would go so quickly from working beautifully to not working at all.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I'm still not clear on what you "greased" and how. Where did you put grease?
What did you take off/apart to add grease?
And white lithium isn't a good lubricant for any part on your bike.

I also agree that there is no need to remove the cylinder. Unless you are well versed on reinstalling it without breaking piston rings. Leave the cylinder in place and simply remove the spark plug. No need to even loosen the head bolts.

"turning over" = the crankshaft is rotating, piston traveling up and down in the cylinder.

Tom

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
If the clutch is the only thing you messed with, the clutch would be the place to look for a problem.

BoardTrack

Jan 5, 2014
Asheville NC
Thank you everyone for the constructive responses, but due to a belated Christmas miracle and a shop cloth the engine is now smoothly turning over.

Yes it was the bucking bar that I had lathered with grease and then cleaned off.
I decided to unhook the brakes and everything holding tension in the bicycle. I then put my ear up to the engine and turned the rear wheel. I was just trying anything I thought might help to troubleshoot my issue. It was in the clutch pad area that I heard a soft brushing sound. I removed the flower nut and covering plate to find rust on the pads!?!(keep in mind this is a new motor) Although I do not believe that this was the original issue it is still a bit unsettling.
I cleaned all of the rust out and blew out any remaining fragments with the air compressor. I replaced the cover and not knowing the original position of the flower nut, I tried a few different settings until a desirable and clean pull of the clutch was felt. Threw on the cover and what the **** the engine cycles!! Having checked and re-checked the clutch and its positions I was sure it wasn't that but hey it worked and thank you all!
Many Thanks,
Spencer.
P.S. I hope to see you all on the forum soon, pictures to come as well for a cafe racer no one has seen the likes of.

Mods, do your thing...