One inch, threaded, suspension forks?

GoldenMotor.com

Citi-sporter

Jun 16, 2014
North Bend, Or,
Sort of really dating myself here, but...

I'm finding, or maybe I should be saying that I'm not finding, in my online searches, much in the way of old style 1" steerer tubed with threads, ( instead of Aheadset style head tube bearings..) inexpensive front suspension forks for old MTB's.

I'm not looking for great quality ones, RST's will do.

Are these just not available anymore? Shame of it is that I've got two old bikes now for motorizing that I'd like to find these forks as replacements. these bikes have the stiff and uncompromising straight style that every bike maker was using in the late 80's.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
You may be better off buying a yard sale bike to get the threaded fork from it. If there is a big bicycle swap meet near you, you might find it there.
I have a threaded suspension fork on my e-bike. It was tough to find it because I have a short head tube - around 4 inches. I bought one threaded fork and cut the head tube to size, but found that I couldn't use it because the threads did not extend far enough down.
Old Threaded Marzocchis have interchangeable steer tubes if you can find one.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
I have a new RST fork that has a removable steer tube. They simply added a bushing to make it fit a standard 1 1/8 fork. It is then simply clamped into the fork. If you can run down a similar bushing it might be possible to cut and use a steer tube from and old fork.

Citi-sporter

Jun 16, 2014
North Bend, Or,
I think if I cut off a steer tube from an old 1" fork it wouldn't have the fork-crown lower bearing race land or enough material to make a secure press fit in the lower 'T'.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Yeah you are probably right on the lower race. I cut and section steer tubes. No problem if you can weld. I use old seat tubes for the extension. The 1" Forks show up on ebay from time to time(the good ones I mean) and they are pretty sought after judging from the bidding. I actually used a threadless on one bike and just used a 1" split collar on the top race. Press it down to set the bearing loading and lock it. It absolutely wont move!

Citi-sporter

Jun 16, 2014
North Bend, Or,
I bookmarked a website that has RST replacement 1" threaded steerers, if I do come across a good used unit. I guess it's time to check Craigslist daily and hope something comes up.

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
1" threaded mtn bike style suspension forks are a bit of a rare breed, have been since the early 90's. The RST's with removable steerer mentioned already are a great modern option, the classic springer style forks and Monark style forks by Sunlite are easier to find.

PoorBoy

May 31, 2014
CA
I too ran into this unfortunate situation my Dyno glide/HF build needed some front suspension. What I ordered from amazon was :
1. FSA Impact Integrated Polycarbonate Headset
And
2. SR SUNTOUR Mountain Bike Fork XCT V2 Silver 26' 80mm

I used the original bearing cups for the aheadset bearing retainers and had a machinist friend do some magic machining for me so everything went together as if it came from the factory. The steering stem I left long as I did not want to be in a lay down position at my age. The rest of the components are all 1 1/8 standard stuff. It is now a threadless set up and was a snap to het the front disc brake on too!

So, a home cooked steak dinner was what it cost me to have him solve my dilemma. I did not take pictures of it but can post a photo of the finished front section if desired. And thanks goes to VMB and CCC for pointing me in this direction initially.

Last edited: