Beach Cruiser Bike

GoldenMotor.com

ex-28

May 23, 2010
winnipeg, Manitoba
my nephew picked u[p and build a Beach Cruiser Bike from canadian tire for his wife , problem is there is only 1 gear and you pedal backwards to brake , the break isnt a problen , but being a bit hard to pedal and get up speed to pop the clutch on the Beach Cruiser Bike is , is there way to change the front sprocket to a smaller one so its easy to pedal and get it going ?

this bike is only used with the 80cc engine so it would be great , the hub on this bike is larger then most regular moutian bikes so regular pedal and hubs wont fit it as far as i know.

this is the bike here , i know pedaling isnt super hard but ona hill or from a dead stop on trail it is for his wife.

Supercycle Classic Cruiser 26-in Comfort Bike, Men's | Canadian Tire

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
it's got a one-piece crank and there's a lot of options for a smaller sprocket. any local bike shop should have one, or be able to order one.

i use 36 tooth sprockets on a lot of my bikes. makes pedaling easier, and also gives more clearance for the engine.

ex-28

May 23, 2010
winnipeg, Manitoba
ok thanks , i asked at one bike shop and they said there usually there different but maybe i was talkin to the janitor then . hehe hope i can locate somthing.

ps: we don't need the derailer to work , as we plan on leaving it single speed and just moving the chain to the smaler gear and shortening the chan so its snug and stays on the same way it is on the larger gear from factory.

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
if it's a single speed with a coaster brake like the one you linked to, there is no derailler. just one sprocket up front and one cog on the rear hub. one piece cranks are all standardized since the 1940's, so sprockets are interchangeable.

if it does have gears, and you want to make it a single speed, just put it in the easiest gear, or whatever is the most comfortable.