Why BoyGoFast Dropped Out Of the Market

GoldenMotor.com

CARider

May 20, 2013
San Rafael, CA-Mesa, AZ
Eveybody has noticed BGF's (Boygofast) has been missing from the market for quite a while. Here is a letter from Don Grube explaining that reasoning:

"We got word yesterday from EPA Enforcement Div. that the big illegal bike engine shipment seized last year by US Customs and EPA was indeed imported by the Chinese crook Rick Shi owner of BGF. JKY was the umbrella name he used to import and BGF was the name he sold under on Ebay. Bottom line the cheater got caught. He lost 2107 engine kits and got fined $15,000.00 by EPA and probably the same amount of fine by US Customs. When this happens dual fines are imposed.

EPA Document Of Illegal Import Here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxfPZHco4TJMdDQ2OGNvSGFxaUk/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited:

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
Please post the file number, or an image of the cover page of the EPA document so I can read it myself.

The google drive link in your post is private.

Thanks

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
before everyone gets to excited grube puts out these emails every couple years and has been doing it for a long time. they have all said the same thing that the only way you will get motors is from me, i personally take this with a grain of salt

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
LOL, LOL, If you knew how many of those I've seen you'd laugh too. Like Paul said, just about every year, about this time those the-sky-is-falling tactics start showing up. I think it's odd that they come around about the time people are looking for a summer project.

Stop worrying and enjoy your bikes.

Tom

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
If anybody wishes to see the document, PM me your email and I'll send the EPA pdf over.
No need for secret squirrel stuff. It is a public record. Just post either the case / docket number or the person's name & date of the action against them.

I prefer to read stuff like this right off of the EPA / DOJ / USCS servers, since it will have the most up-to-date information regarding the case.

outlawbiker

Mar 15, 2009
Chicago NW Suburbs
that sucks, BGF was my go to place for inexpensive 2 stroke kits. i paid 120 bucks for my very first 80/66 cc slant head kit,that ive put thousands of miles on since 2010,and it still runs! I always keep it in my mind that it wont last,but my kit must of been built on a good day.

Oh well, so the days of a low hundred dollar kit are gone,a sad day for all us broke people.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Well....maybe the days of the $140 engine kit are gone.

But even if you've got to figure on $175, you can still build an amazingly competent little vehicle for, say, $350. And that's brand new everything plus decent accessories.

Of course I'd like it to be as cheap as possible.

But it'll have to be more like $750 or so before I'd decide that they're just not worth it anymore.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Dunno CA but I honestly, I doubt it. I kinda think folks will always go for the less expensive option. Funny part of that is I enjoy my 4 smokes more then my 2 strokes.

The 2 stroke China Girl is also just plain sexy. They really are. For their size are amazing little power plants. Cheap, easy to fix/figure out and pretty. A really winning combination.

Our host did a survey and they hold a huge slice of the market share. http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=1004

Folks tell me I am nutz for thinking this but do believe electric bikes are the future but only if battery technology advances allows for it.

Just rambling but I have no doubt that the 2 strokes are fine and will be around until we stop buying them.

Just my thoughts and am sure many other opinions are worth considering

Last edited: