Ham radio

GoldenMotor.com

Jesse_James

Apr 9, 2013
USA
Does anyone have a ham radio? I don't but do take interest in having one (first I need a license). I have a Fire/Police scanner. Which brings me to the question what does a ham radio do differently from my Fire/Police scanner?

oldtimer54

May 15, 2010
On a bike
With a Ham radio you can talk to people all over the world manly on shortwave. With the right radio you can send and receive data.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
There are receivers and there are transceivers. Receivers (scanners) only let you hear what is on their frequency. A transceiver will allow you to transmit (talk/communicate) with other receivers/transceivers.

As for communicating "all over the world" you'll need to speak several different languages or find other ham operators who speak English. :)

Check your local ordinances regarding antennas. Some have height limits and other restrictions. The FCC should be able to tell you.
Tom

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
For a while I had a pretty powerful CB Base radio (and one in the car). The base station had upper and lower sidebands, and a bunch more mods so it could do a little more. The problem with the base was that it would over-ride baby monitors and other devices in the neighbourhood. A 'friend' of ours who was a Ham operator would go on and on about how his equipment is better, his antenna blah blah blah...

Anyway, eventually had to pack it in 'cause the place we were living wouldn't allow the antenna. It was only an 18' one, on a 12' steel post. I had it hidden in a tree for a while, but they cut the tree down.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
It has been a while...

As said above, the amateur radio license issued by the federals will allow you to legally operate on certain and specific rf bands.

And they are quite useful.

Probably the first step to take would be to search out the study questions for the entry-level codeless technician class.
A few weeks of studying that, online, and taking the quizes will teach you quite a bit and give you sufficient information to take the official test and get your technician license.

That, is only a beginning.

I would advise you continue your studies and at least get the General class license, which is far more useful for legal, global QSO's.

Do not attempt to operate without first getting a license.
All you may wish to QSO with are bound by terms of the license, and they will not speak with you on the air unless you are properly licensed for that band.
It is totally regulated, and sometimes very seriously enforced.

Most hams may seem to be a bunch of crotchety old duffers at first, yet I have never met one that was not quite helpful.

That being said, you shall discover that 90% of QSO's amount to little more than signal report, equipment discussion, the WX report, and more discussion about antennas.

I would encourage you to learn Morse Code.

Amateur radio, and Morse Code, can be a vital means of communiction when no other method is possible.

End cost may be as little as $400-$500.
You will learn a lot !!!

Best
rc

2strokebke

May 17, 2013
Richmond,Va
Hi,Yeah 2door is right you will need a license, I have a 4pill texas star and it push like 400watts on stock alternator. When i was in high school i used too skip class just too go talk skip i used too do sideband aswell.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
jj, that handheld looks too good to be true.
What a fantastic piece of engineering it must be for them to even make claims of such awesome capability!
And all for $54.99 !

Sry, I know nothing about baofeng, or that model of radio they are presenting.

Best
rc