Will selling motorbikes be profitable? And/or Easy?

GoldenMotor.com

SuperDave

Sep 24, 2011
Panama City Beach, Fl. USA
I would really appreciate all and any opinions about my idea! Thanks guys! hope to hear from you soon. zpt
BBStar, I too had a similar idea & was encouraged by friends to do the same, but liability issues aside, there are those who might want such a bike but have absolutely NO mechanical ability whatsoever who are lucky just to know where to put gas into their car. You do this and I'm sure some brain dead moron will get one, forget to put 2-cycle oil in it, burn it up, then blame you for selling them a shoddy bike. And you'll end up fixing it for free just to restore your reputation. A lot of posters here have done what you are thinking & got out of it just for this reason alone, they spend more time making repairs & "making friends" for selfish folks who are only interested in what they can get out of others, that they end up losing money in the long run. These 2-strokes are very high maintenance. The ONLY thing they have going for them is their simplicity & cheap initial costs. But remember the old adage: you get what you pay for. There are better designed & built bikes out there that get 100 MPG, but they cost quite a bit more than $300.00 starting out.

I don't mean to bust your bubble, but in these litigious times we live in today, coupled by all the stupid people out there (I blame all the anti-Darwin laws on the books, like seat-belt & helmet laws) that the best way to avoid trouble is to not to venture into dangerous territory.

My recommendation, don't do it. Not unless you have a LOT of capital to start with and a lawyer in your corner. The advertisers here on this site have big money behind them worth more than the average guy can come up with, and with that kind of clout, they can buy in bulk & underbid you every step of the way. That's why Wally World puts small businesses to shame with their cut throat prices, they buy stuff by the tanker full, then undersell the mom-&-pop stores who can't compete at those rates.

If you can't assemble a motorized bike from kit form, then you shouldn't have one. PERIOD. You take all the skill out of the equation by selling a complete bike then you will end up with a clientele with no mechanical skills who are going to be up your butt demanding you continue providing services long after the sale has been made. Or blame you for their own stupidity.

scratg

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Sadly, America has gotten to the point where it's never 'my fault'. People'll sue and if they lose, then it's the lawyer's fault. The lawyer will then blame it on an un-sympathic jury or judge..........

When I was growing up, if I got hurt doing something, my folks would look me straight in the eye and say, "Well, I guess you won't do that again!"

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
In our fabulous economic times, a lot of people are trying to make a quick buck anyway they can and will seize any opportunity, even if it's finding a way to sue somebody.
We live in times where people get paid to have fun, like sports heroes, they are examples of being paid well with little work, they are peoples idols and role models, people don't think they should have to work for big money either.

Sue someone!

There are actually people out there who make a living suing others.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I would do it if I was younger and didn't have arthritis-

but only on a "freelance" small scale- stock stuff, but maybe a few changes-
I'm in Jacksonville- and used cruisers can be had easily- especially in the fall- but I might use new-

and have only one or two bikes built up at a time- maybe build one or two a month and see if they sell-

people can ride them most of the year here- but they haven't really caught on that much in the 4 years I've been here- people don't like to mess with mechanical things, or don't know how- still I think there is SOME market-

I'm surprised I see even fewer scooters than a couple years back- I'm not near the beach- but there's a lot of people using bicycles as transportation here- apparently can't afford cars

I'd start light and see if I could clear some money on one or two a month-
In my prime- I could've pumped them out faster than I think I'd ever sell them.
Some guys were doing it here in an old gas station- but I think they closed down- and rent must've been high- can't have an overhaed like that much unless your'e building something more custom.

Last edited: