Dax Engines?

GoldenMotor.com

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
How are the engines from Dax? How are they power and reliability wise compared to the others?

He said they are 69cc and not all the same as the others? He also said the cylinder is the same as the other China engines but the rest comes from a different factory?

Thanks Bill.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
That's fairly accurate. They are decent, and he backs up his product. None of the 80's are 80's, but in fact around 68-69cc's.

The one's I have gotten from him are were fine, with no failures. Some of the ancillary items that come with them are better than some of the other sellers.

graydog8josh

Nov 23, 2012
Starkville,MS
Yes. I'm running his F80 engine and it is strong. It comes with the 5mm and 3 mm allen bolts for the plates. the hardware is not grade 3 so it is not so easy to snap off especially at the mounts. Also he makes himself available to discuss his product, so that is another plus in my book. I would reccommend buying from him.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Does the F80 have any similarity to LEB's X80? I have the X80 and I find it stronger than the Skyhawk 66cc. If/when I buy a new engine, I'm considering a DAX' they sound good'

graydog8josh

Nov 23, 2012
Starkville,MS
I havent bought from LEB but i have from BGF and you tend to get a mix of good and bad parts when you buy from BGF. I would buy from dax because you can get all the high grade screws. I still don't like acorn nuts, and i tend to go to the hardware store and buy regular nuts to replace the m8 acorn nuts that come with the kits. so basically if you want to get a good engine that you can mount on your bike in one day and maybe 1 trip to the hardware store, buy from dax.
I dont know if this is always the case, but i bought from bikeberry and their front mount was wider than the F80 front mount.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I see complaint posts on some kit vendors. I don't remember seeing any complaints about ThatsDax on any forums. That doesn't mean their customers never experience any problems. It means ThatsDax is very responsive when there is a problem.

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Duane or (dax) is an awesome dealer. The way he sells his engines and kits now is superior to others on the market. All the engine hardware is swapped out for 12.9 grade hardware. He puts stainless steel head-bolts, the clutch is set right, and the parts that come with the kits or sold separately are much better quality. Best part is he provides a warranty with all of his parts and engines. Even if it is after the expiration, he'll still honor it. My two cents is... "you get what you pay for". You can take your chances buying a motor elsewhere trying to save a penny; and end up buying 2 or giving up. Or. For a little more you can buy from a vendor that stands buy what he sells, and offers great customer service.

lambofgod121980

May 31, 2012
new caney TX
Duane is deff a super nice guy. Had an issue with an engine I got from him and I called not to complain but to find out how to fix what I had broken and he sent me a new bottom end no charge. Answers the phone and returns calls - customer service is A-1 and I will be a dax customer for life \m/ I'd also like to say I bought the engine from duane to replace the bgf engine I got from ebay and died in less than an hour due to bearing failure and then the emailed the seller which replied - you should take all the bearings that fell out and put them back in. Was hilarious since most of them were destroyed in the clutch and small gear under the clutch cover. Bgf never responded back after 1st email even after I emailed him multiple times.
You will never have that problem with duane. Real stand up guy who knows his shhhhh. And backs his products. Looking forward to ordering one of his morini clones soon \m/

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
The only time I ever heard the name Dax, was a couple of bad reviews, but I don't remember how to find them. It has been on my mind since I'm sourcing two kits soon.
Good to know one of our sponsors isn't "one of them..." :)

kallsop

May 2, 2009
CT US
thatsdax is one of the very few vendors that you can talk to and they honor the warranty. I had one GT50R engine that pulled a head bolt and he fixed it. Then it holed a piston and he fixed it. I have two of their friction drive kits. I'd buy there again in a heartbeat.

FireEater

Apr 16, 2012
Alberta Canada
I am thinking of going on a powered bicycle trip of Europe. I was initially going to ship my push trailer there but shipping it turns out is just obscenely stupid. I am now thinking of taking a motor and mounts and just buying a cheap bicycle there and putting it together. I need something reliable though. I also have a china lady, which is great, but not sure I want to depend on that motor for that distance in foreign countries where parts will not be easily available. I was thinking of TITAN XC50S and dax's REAR MOUNT FRICTION DRIVE. Anyone know how reliable this is, what the weight is and if it would easily fit in my luggage? Can saddlebags still fit or or would I need to install it on the front? Does he sell a kit where you can get motor and mount together and save a few bucks? Is there anything you can do to soup up this motor a bit? Would he courier parts to Europe in the event of an emergency? Does he have an email address? Is there any spare parts that I should take? Does anyone have any better suggestions? does anyone know of a dealer in Europe, particularly UK as that is where I will be starting from. {Actually China first, {hows that for ironic} then off to UK then Western Europe. Might just bag it and get a Eurorail pass, but would prefer Motorized bike. Any tips for travelling in Europe?

FireEater

Apr 16, 2012
Alberta Canada
And perhaps most important, does he sell the x35 sticker separately so i can quasi hide that I have the bigger motor? Also, any idea how many miles per gallon I should expect?

FireEater

Apr 16, 2012
Alberta Canada
Would almost prefer a frame mount, but main key is simplicity and reliability so this seems to me to be better than other options. Any comments on my thought process or lack thereof?

FireEater

Apr 16, 2012
Alberta Canada
does anyone have one of these? What is the top speed one can expect on flat and level with about 200lbs of rider and gear? How much noise come out of these and is there a way to reduce it further without taking a major power hit? On one of my bikes I have mounted 2 mufflers and it seemed okay...

kallsop

May 2, 2009
CT US
Friction drive is not so great in the rain, regardless of any claims otherwise, and you can expect it to rain for some of the time in Europe. Apart from that, it is super reliable and you can easily fit a new rear tire if you wear one out. Don't rule out a quality 2 stroke (Tanaka, Mitsubishi) it will save weight and size but mixing the fuel is a bit of a pain. I wouldn't dream of driving a long trip with a China Girl, you made the right choice there. It's a shame the Honda GXH50 doesn't come with a built in clutch like the GX35 has, because that would be a great engine but it is really too big when you add a clutch e.g. the Stanton clutch kit.