Sportsman Flyer Drop Loop Boardie Kits

GoldenMotor.com

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
I don't know if it gets any cooler than this - 1000cc and no brakes. Great inspiration for my paint job I think.

Jeff,
I have to agree, that is about as cool as it gets. Everything looks so simple, too. Just a huge engine barely hanging on to a frame. Amazing, and crazy as heck. Those guys back then were brave. Looking at that seat gives me some good ideas for a little fab project. I am thinking a nice laser cut pan rolled up at the back, a few brackets and some leather and you have a nice boardie seat. Only problem I can see is hitting a big pot hole with no seat springs!

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Pat those are beautiful, Ive already layed the groundwork for upcoming tough negotiations with the Misses. Will You be offering the flyers with the 135 mm spacing ?

Cheersdnut

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Will You be offering the flyers with the 135 mm spacing ?

Cheersdnut
Chainmaker,
Sure, why not. Not sure what your up to with the wider spacing as the Grubee style two stroke will limit tire width because of chain offset. Either way I can taylor frames for individual applications. I have one guy that wants Grubee style mounts on the bigger Racer frame. I think that little engine will be lonely in all that realestate.

tomgndallas

Sep 19, 2010
Dallas, TX
Crazy Horse, Pat, and everyone else...

This is extremely interesting to me. I have been working on restoring a 69 CB450, more like a rebuild than a full restore. I recently visited the Barber Motorsports Museum and caught the board track racer bug. Now I find this forum and the good work that is going on here.

Sent you an email Joe, found this thread so I am good. Still I am curious, is there any twin motor being made to look more period? That is the only negative that I see with these modern racers, and it maybe is due to some IP issue or the fact that they would no longer be street legal. Of course, big cylinder little hole would fix the cc restriction. Just a thought.

Keep it up, I think I will start stashing some money away to one day give to Pat...haha, no...seriously, I think I will!!!

Last edited:

tomgndallas

Sep 19, 2010
Dallas, TX
Hopefully my last message made it through...some kind of error saying I was trying to post a link. Anyhow, keep up the great work and keep posting progress. I am very interested.

Take care all!!

Tom

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Tom,
Don't forget the original single cylinder boardies. That was the 500cc class and those bikes looked great and are easier to replicate today. The Whizzer engine has a nice big round crank case that fills a loop frame nicely. I have a couple of the Whizzer frames built up now and these are really looking the part. I will post pictures shortly. Also have the first stretch tank tacked together to check fit and it fit perfect.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Tom,
Thanks for the cool link to the old blueprints. That means a lot to a guy like me. I have drawn dozens of different shapes for boardie frames in CAD. I can easily take that frame drawing and scale it around 26" bicycle wheels. Match the geometry and you match the feel. Very cool. Notice the lugged frame construction. It was all about brazing back in those days and not welding.
Thanks,
Pat

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
A couple new pictures. I tacked up the first new style stretched Flyer gas tank and test fit it to the prototype Racer. Also messing around with a boardie style seat. A bicycle seat looked way out of proportion on the stretched out frame. The widened pedal crank looks crazy cool and clears the 9 1/2" wide engine.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Here is a picture of a roughed out Flyer "WZ" frame designed to carry the Whizzer engine. Notice the deeper loop with tighter radius. I think I am starting to push the limits of the tube bending equipment.

Here is a shot of two WZ Flyer frames and a Flyer Deluxe. The Flyer Deluxe is the non stretched baby loop for the Grubee engine. These frames still need the welded in engine mounts and a few other small details, not to mention a good cleaning.

tomgndallas

Sep 19, 2010
Dallas, TX
Sorry for the short response this morning, I was running late this morning. So, I think that is great Pat that you are using CAD to do this. I used to play around with Solid Works a few years ago, but now I am pretty much not proficient at all. I would need the basic's refresher course to be effective again, but I no longer design, I manage. I was curious, would you import the drawing somehow and do an overlay for a quick sketch then render to a 3D model? Just curious. Those new frames look great, you have a real talent there. One of these days I will outfit my garage with tools and devices, just have the basics now...oh...but to dream!!

xct2..hehe...

Tom G

tomgndallas

Sep 19, 2010
Dallas, TX
oh yes, just forgot. Pat, please post pics when you put together your whizzer example. I am curious, is that using one of the modern whizzer motors? Not sure where to buy one, though I did see the chinese knock off...I have been to China, and bought Chinese merchandise. dont like their products.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Tom,
I would take that drawing or even a good side view photograph of any old frame then import into Autocad. From there I draw over the imported file. In this case I could then scale the drawing based on the wheel size. A bicycle wheel being 26" I would then have the geometry of the old design perfectly scaled to match 26" bicycle rims. It would look "correct" scale wise relative to the rims. A perfect 90% version of the original. Getting the "look" correct is half the battle. As for Whizzer engines I have been told that all the different Whizzer engines have the same mounting dimensions. The one I have is I believe an NE-5. I will post pictures of one sitting in the frame soon enough. Lets just say it certainly looks the part of an old boardie. Interesting thing is that I have wanted a Whizzer for as long as I can remember and now I am building an entire bike around the engine. Let's just say I am a little excited about that. Can you tell?

Last edited:

UncleKudzu

May 26, 2008
Deep in the American South
very nice frames! i like where the engine sits in relation to everything; it just looks "right" for these little engines. good luck with your work!

now, if someone would come up with a GP/cafe racer-style frame...