Sportsman Flyer Drop Loop Boardie Kits

GoldenMotor.com

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Hi Guys,
I think most people that frequent this forum are aware of the stainless in-frame gas tanks that I build. As the months have passed I have developed other items for that board track racer look like drop handlebars, layback seat posts, oil tank/tool boxes and other items. People have encourged me to expand into frames. I finally agreed to build a run of frames if five people came forward. This would allow me to spread the development costs and design time to make the project possible. Well, five people came forward, then more. Now I have some results to show. I basically designed a series of frames for different engine packages. The first model is the Sportsman Flyer Deluxe. This model is based on the Worksman Industrial Newboy frame with a loop down tube to allow more engine space for the typical two stroke application. While I was at it I added welded in engine mounts. You can walk up to this frame kit and bolt in the engine in less than five minutes for a perfect fit. This required engine placement then allows me to offer all the additional components like intake and exhaust manifolds, welded on idler assembly, reinforced Monark forks and pre cut chain knowing that they will fit correctly. Here are a couple pictures showing the frame and then the basic kit.

Last edited:

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
The next model in the Sportsman Flyer line of frames is the Sportsman Flyer Racer Deluxe model. This frame is Cad designed as a 4" stretch frame with deeper loop. It is designed to carry the 9.4 hp Morini S6-S engine. The frame is built on a proper frame jig and is both tig welded and brazed together. All factory style Worksman lugs are brazed and various other areas are tig welded together. Down tubes are CNC rolled to my specs. These frames are straight and true. Parts are interchangable between frames. These are not one-off frames but part of a very small production run. Each frame receives a serial number and build certificate. They will be sold as kits only with weld-in engine mounts, idler assemblies, both tanks, and forks. Here is a picture of the first Racer deluxe before final cleaning. If you look closely around the frame you will see flux still on some of the lugs and some tig welds that still need to be dressed down. I took this first picture when the frame was still warm. If you look closely you will see the original INB rear frame triangle and lugged head tube. Beyond that all three center tubes are new. The middle tube is even jig located to assure a tight fit to my soon to be built 4" stretch in-frame stainless tank.

This next picture shows the first mock-up with engine mounted, forks and wheels installed and both bike and motor chains routed with proper motor side idler assembly.

This next shot shows a rear detail of the bicycle and motor chains. The frames have been widened to 130mm from the stock 110mm so that the Morini engine sits centered in the frame. Rear hub laced into the Worksman wheel is a heavy duty drum brake with 45t motor side sprocket and 18t freewheel on the bicycle side. I expect mid 50 mph performance out of this chassis.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
I have still another model coming out in a few more weeks that is an evolution of the 4" stretch, but will be built specifically to carry the Whizzer engine. It will be called the Sportsman Flyer "WZ" model. The WZ designation was used by Schwinn back in the day to identify the Whizzer specific frames. It will have an even deeper loop than the Racer model and really looks the part of an old 500ccc single cylinder boardie. I also need to let everyone here know that this is a combined effort with a few key players. My brother Rich has been involved every step of the way and has helped build the Racer prototype. He continues to challenge my design ideas, pushing up the level of quality and engineering. Also involved is my friend Carlos who is now building out the first Flyer Deluxe, serial number FDX001. Jeff, who has been involved in the graphics design area and done an amazing job with gas tank graphics. Doug who challenged me to stuff a Whizzer engine into a tight little Worksman frame, and Dave my machinest buddy who helps make the Monark forks usable for motor bike duty. Thanks guys for all the help!

Just wanted to update this post with an early picture of the first "WZ" Flyer frame. Still needs mounts and detail work. Notice the deeper loop with tighter radius.

Last edited:

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Pat, Rich, Carlos, Dave and Doug I for one want to thank all of you for your part in seeing these custom made Worksman Industrial News Boy / Sportsman Flyer Drop Loop made into a reality!!!

Many of you know that I had been in negotiations with Worksman Owner Wayne Sosin, to make these Worksman Industrial News Boy Cruiser's with a factory Drop Loop frame, unfortunately these talks failed, Worksman will not make a factory Drop Loop frame using the Industrial News Boy Cruiser, case closed.

Along comes Pat aka ( Sportscarpat ), and lo & behold he has taken it upon himself to make these Drop Loop Sportsman Flyer's available to us all.

Let me say this project is not for the unskilled or unprepared, Pat has invested his Blood Sweat Time & Money, to make this a reality along with his compatriots Rich, Carlos, Dave & Doug, none of us knows what amount of time, money, etc etc... it has taken for Pat to make this really happen I know one thing it wasn't cheap, and these builds a the best of the best that is the Sportsman Flyer & Sportsman Flyer Deluxe.

I hope to see some forum members sharing their Sportsman Flyers & Sportsman Flyer Deluxes here in the forum once they are completed.

Pat, just wanted to say again thanks to you & yours for an awesome product Kudos & Success to you all!!!

Peace Crazy Horse.

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
awesome job, once again, Pat...

guys like you give me hope for this "hobby."

by "hope," i mean, i hope we can change people's minds about these bikes and stop supporting Walmart, buying crappy Huffys, and making motorized toy bikes out of them.

K-dregg

Apr 20, 2010
Sweden
The Racer Deluxe looks fantastic.. nicely done! Now i want to builda bike with a morini engine.. :)

Oh how come those pics of the Gilmore bikes shows up in almost every BTR thread? its getting very repetitive, Just asking..

blckwlfny1

Jul 14, 2010
new york
PAT, I AM VERY INTERESTED IN ONE OF THESE. WHEN ARE THEY GOING TO BE AVAILABLE AND HOW MUCH IS THE KIT?

The next model in the Sportsman Flyer line of frames is the Sportsman Flyer Racer Deluxe model. This frame is Cad designed as a 4" stretch frame with deeper loop. It is designed to carry the 9.4 hp Morini S6-S engine. The frame is built on a proper frame jig and is both tig welded and brazed together. All factory style Worksman lugs are brazed and various other areas are tig welded together. Down tubes are CNC rolled to my specs. These frames are straight and true. Parts are interchangable between frames. These are not one-off frames but part of a very small production run. Each frame receives a serial number and build certificate. They will be sold as kits only with weld-in engine mounts, idler assemblies, both tanks, and forks. Here is a picture of the first Racer deluxe before final cleaning. If you look closely around the frame you will see flux still on some of the lugs and some tig welds that still need to be dressed down. I took this first picture when the frame was still warm. If you look closely you will see the original INB rear frame triangle and lugged head tube. Beyond that all three center tubes are new. The middle tube is even jig located to assure a tight fit to my soon to be built 4" stretch in-frame stainless tank.

This next picture shows the first mock-up with engine mounted, forks and wheels installed and both bike and motor chains routed with proper motor side idler assembly.

This next shot shows a rear detail of the bicycle and motor chains. The frames have been widened to 130mm from the stock 110mm so that the Morini engine sits centered in the frame. Rear hub laced into the Worksman wheel is a heavy duty drum brake with 45t motor side sprocket and 18t freewheel on the bicycle side. I expect mid 50 mph performance out of this chassis.

Last edited:

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Pat,

1. Can you give us an update on the website any progress and the Link.

2. Thanks Pat for sharing your works of Art!

Peace Crazy Horse.

Last edited:

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Thanks for all the positive comments on my frame kits. I hope to have the first stretch tank cut this week and test fit before I run off 10 of them. I try to avoid discussing pricing in threads. I do have a web site in development but is still a few weeks out. I can say that the site will be pretty cool and will have some vintage photos where I get inspiration, as well as an actual parts list with pictures and pricing. There will also be a customer section showing what people are building with these parts, and that is my favorite section.