Hello from texas, first build

GoldenMotor.com

mikeintx

Oct 24, 2009
Texas
Hello all. I am getting ready to start my first build, a "Jet" 66cc kit on a Huffy Cranbrook. I have everything together and will probably build during days off next wed, thu, & fri. In the meantime am prepping & painting frame & fork, fenders, etc., assembling bicycle, & watching assembly vids and trying to learn from you folks who've been here before. thanks

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
Hello all. I am getting ready to start my first build, a "Jet" 66cc kit on a Huffy Cranbrook. I have everything together and will probably build during days off next wed, thu, & fri. In the meantime am prepping & painting frame & fork, fenders, etc., assembling bicycle, & watching assembly vids and trying to learn from you folks who've been here before. thanks

Welcome to the fold Mike !....you will find most of us able and willing to help anyway we can....after all that's how a lot of us learned as well.......
The Cranbrook is an excellent bike to do a first build on due to it's simple layout and ergodynamics but you really should get a front brake on it....most of these bikes are not built to stop you at 30 MPH !
Good luck Mike!

Laters,
Salty.shft.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Mike,
A word of caution regarding the Cranbrook's fenders. The brackets are notoriously weak and can rattle loose or break with the vibrations from an engine. Keep a close eye on the front one especially. A front fender coming loose and wrapping around your wheel can ruin your day, not to mention your bike, your face etc. Post some photos of your first build. Have fun, ride careful..
Tom

mikeintx

Oct 24, 2009
Texas
Thanks for the advice. I had heard about this problem before but luckily the design I have in mind for this build includes removal of the front fender. I will see what I can do to reinforce or fabricate secure brackets for the rear. Thanks for the heads up!