holes in the casting next to the crankcase seal

GoldenMotor.com

oylavabeer

Jan 9, 2009
Perth Australia
Holes in the casting next to the crankcase seal letting crankcase pressure low. I don't want to split the crankcase. What is the best way to seal this I am thinking glue of some kind. Am trying to work out how to post pictures.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I just know someone is going to suggest, JB Weld.

It might work in this case but as with any glue or epoxy based material the trick will be how clean you can get the repair area. Any oil residue will prevent products like epoxy from sticking permanently. You'll need to make sure that you're starting with CLEAN and OIL FREE metal. This will require a solvent that will remove all traces of oil or other contaminants.

Good luck. Let us know how the repair goes.

Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Brake cleaner is a good choice. It will cut most any petroleum based residue. Compressed air will help too. Spray the cleaner deep into the void you're trying to fill then blow it out with air. Do this a couple of times and make sure you don't see any black tracing coming out before filling with whatever product you decide to use.

Just a question but are you sure this hole you're seeing goes all the way through to the crankcase. It could just be a surface imperfection that isn't allowing air to pass. Are you seeing symptoms of a vacuum leak such as a high idle speed, loss of power, hard starting?

Tom