Won't stay running

GoldenMotor.com

sboricic123

Apr 15, 2013
Bailieboro, Ontario
My Flying Horse, 66cc, will start up, but only for a few seconds before it bogs down and stalls when I pull the clutch in. I had the same problem yesterday but was able to get it started and go for a 30 mile ride. The engine has at least 500 miles on it or better and I'm using 40:1 ratio. I noticed the spark plug was wet but clean. I've cleaned the exhaust for the 3rd time too. No leaks are appearing in to the magneto and magdet. I'm not sure what to check out now.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Pull the fuel line to check the fuel shutoff screen is not clogged. Remove the petcock to clean the screen inside the tank.
Check for fuel flowing to the float bowl. Loosen the screw with the red washer to see if your float needle and seat are clear. Remove the float bowl to clean the needle and seat if needed.
Remember the basics.
Spark, air, and fuel.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
also, recheck your fuel - had a guy mix his gas then pour into tank from wrong can - ran 10 sec then quit, ran 10 sec then quit on straight gas

sboricic123

Apr 15, 2013
Bailieboro, Ontario
So I tried all the above and no luck. I changed the fuel filter...no luck. Last resort, change the fresh gas I had in with other fresh gas I purchased elsewhere. Bingo! It fired right up and stayed running. I guess the first batch of gas must have water or something in it.
I'll try firing it up tomorrow again to see if that was the problem.