grounding

GoldenMotor.com

jlatshaw

Jul 18, 2013
Murica
Hello, I'm trying to plan out how I can wire my bike, and it sure would make things easier if I could use the bicycle's frame as a common grounding. Is this possible when the frame is painted or at all?

Thanks,
-James

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Yes, you can use the frame as a coomon ground. If you're using a battery simply run a wire from the battey's negative post to a bolt or screw that is threaded into or against the frame and each light/device the same way. The positive side of the battery will then go through a switch/button, whatever, then to the device.

Each place you ground must be a metal to metal attachment which will give you a good electrical connection. Paint will need to be removed but just enough to allow attachment of your wire/s. You don't need to remove a lot of paint.

As for the engine, you didn't say which engine you have, but in the case of a Chinese 2 stroke the engine case is a ground unto itself and needs no electrical connection to the frame. The magneto is directly grounded to the engine case where the mag coil is attached. If you're using a kill switch it should be wired to the blue and black leads from the magneto and needs no connection to the frame. Don't use the white wire in your kill switch circuit.

Tom

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I grounded my batteries to my seatpost clamp bolt, and my headlight is grounded to where it mounts on my fork via a grounding cable. No paint removal was necessary for either of those. The only place I removed paint was from my luggage rack where my brake light is bolted on. I don't know if it was necessary or not, but the brake light body is metal so it is its own ground. I took the paint off just to ensure a good ground there. But if you are connecting a grounding cable to a threaded post, no paint removal should be necessary.