Kill Switch doesn't quite work

GoldenMotor.com

userix

Jan 29, 2011
LA
My kill switch doesn't work normally. When I push and hold it in, the engine does get weaker, like it is about to stop, but it doesn't and continues idling, ableit at a lower rpm. I checked the wiring and everything looks normal and hasn't changed since it last worked. I have replaced the magneto not too long ago, so I doubt it's a bad magneto this fast. I will check magneto closely tomorrow. But for now, does anyone know what could result in the symptom I am experiencing with my kill switch?

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
My kill switch had a bad wire, broken inside the insulation when i got it. I used my multi-meter to ohm the wires then replaced the bad one. check all of the connections and make sure they are tight, better yet solder them so vibration doesn't loosen them.

userix

Jan 29, 2011
LA
The killswitch wire (yellow) was originally wired to the white wire from the magneto. That worked to kill the engine previously for the past year. All of a sudden, it didn't work for killing the engine. Not sure why. I rewired it so the yellow kill switch wire is not spliced into the blue wire and it works perfectly now. Not sure why it would suddenly stop working for no apparent reason.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
The killswitch wire (yellow) was originally wired to the white wire from the magneto. That worked to kill the engine previously for the past year. All of a sudden, it didn't work for killing the engine. Not sure why. I rewired it so the yellow kill switch wire is not spliced into the blue wire and it works perfectly now. Not sure why it would suddenly stop working for no apparent reason.

I originally tried to post this somewhere else... Now I see what your problem is.

If the kill switch is hooked up properly, assuming the engine wires to the CDI are correct... NO its not possible. But there is a possibility of not starting due to a faulty switch. These engines don't need a kill switch to run. So if you have to push the button in for it to run, something in the way you wired it is wrong.

If you wired the kill switch like what is pictured (or between the blue wires), you will have to hold the button in to run, assuming a good switch.

Hook one wire to the blacks, and the other wire to the blues. Disregard the kill switch colors, I don't know why they made them with different colors. The kill switch and wires are one continuous loop. Cut or cap off the white. Problem solved...you wired it wrong.

Last edited: