Engines dies at cruse speed

GoldenMotor.com

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
is the tank developing a vacuum? unscrew the fuel cap and see if it comes back to life.

Otherwise, I'd say carb needs some cleaning out.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Fuel starvation fo'sho'! Make sure the cap is venting, and all fuel system parts are free flowing. Check the screen where the petcock/shutoff screws into the tank.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Miracle solution! Close down the petcock some

I've seen this problem described quite a bit and was having it myself-

I found the solution by accident (also see my thread just posted under general discussion)

The motor seems to have been getting TOO MUCH gas, not too little

As it gets flowing it drowns-

I had the air filter off yesterday and noticed gas coming out of the carb as it was running worse than ever-

I'm just getting through break in, and so I've been wondering about mix- put in more oil and that helped just slightly- but the gas flying out the air intake should have told me-

also, any slight closing of choke IMMEDIATELY cuts power- too MUCH gas, not too little gas

I took out the petcock filter cause I still though too little too- it did help accelertation- which has always been good- under load- but then cut off

Today I had it running about the normal: not great- and left it outside to cool before bringing in baby-

when I went out to get it I saw I hadn't shut the petcock- SOOOOOOOOO,
I thought I'd run the bit out of the line-

I got on and it RAN GREAT- I'd left it slightly open-

So I rode a couple of miles and played with it:

petcock SLIGHTLY open- runs great- NO CUT-OFF!
too open- still stalls, as ever!
not open- kills motor

I'm soo relieved and wish I could tell everyoine having this problem

Carb still leaks though and is obviously the weak link in kit- so I'm asking around if anyone knows where to get a better one-

I still haven't opened up the float bowl- there may be a way to adjust that oer something-

but the answer seems to be FLOODING at cruise speed, not lack of gas

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
with the high quality that comes with these engine kits no two are the same. I've found the sweet spot on my fuel tank valve. Sometimes you have to play with them.
Norman