A Battery switch to instantly switch between series and parallel?

GoldenMotor.com

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
You have the choice "at the throw of a switch" though, build for preformance and only use say 1/2 of it with no loss in efficiency (marginal gain actually) due to modern sensor throttle technology - the throttle being that switch ofc.

Rheostat throttles use 100% regardless of their setting, if your at 50% throttle the other 50% being burned off through resistive heat generation (generally speaking) so the early electrics used series/parallel & combinations thereof to do what you're seeking, to use for speed control instead of a single either or switch & a an additional throttle.

I'm not sayin' it wouldn't be neat - I'm just thinkin' that may be why it's "impossible to find pre-built"?

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
That's quite the handy work on that pc board with fuses on it for sure. I need to have something to physically look at to make something like that work. It's not one of my strong points at all. LOL
That board looks fancy fosho - don't be fooled tho, it's just a simple buss bar w/fuse bank and I bought it that way (and 'cause it's shiny) ;)

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
You have the choice "at the throw of a switch" though, build for preformance and only use say 1/2 of it with no loss in efficiency (marginal gain actually) due to modern sensor throttle technology - the throttle being that switch ofc.

Rheostat throttles use 100% regardless of their setting, if your at 50% throttle the other 50% being burned off through resistive heat generation (generally speaking) so the early electrics used series/parallel & combinations thereof to do what you're seeking, to use for speed control instead of a single either or switch & a an additional throttle.

I'm not sayin' it wouldn't be neat - I'm just thinkin' that may be why it's "impossible to find pre-built"?
Your absolutely right.

My thumb throttle is that "switch" and has been all along. I get it now. I'm just a little slow sometimes. There is no need for that switch if I can just control my lead thumb. LOL

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
That board looks fancy fosho - don't be fooled tho, it's just a simple buss bar w/fuse bank and I bought it that way (and 'cause it's shiny) ;)
LOL I'm no electronics expert. Coulda fooled me. I did have to rip open my Crystalyte Controller though and do a solder job on it to activate "Brake Regen". For some reason Crystalyte didn't feel the need to already include it on that controller, for some insane reason. Without "Brake Regen" I simply can not safely stop my bike. Even with a 203mm hydraulic front disk brake.

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Your absolutely right.

My thumb throttle is that "switch" and has been all along. I get it now. I'm just a little slow sometimes. There is no need for that switch if I can just control my lead thumb. LOL
No worries & think of it this way - you invented something. It doesn't really matter if someone else did too a hundred hears ago as if ya didn't know about it, you still came up with a "new" idea, it's still thinkin' "outside the box" ;)

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
No worries & think of it this way - you invented something. It doesn't really matter if someone else did too a hundred hears ago as if ya didn't know about it, you still came up with a "new" idea, it's still thinkin' "outside the box" ;)
The rheostat switch, camouflaged as my thumb throttle, is unbelievably simpler, cheaper and more compact than what I was about to embark on.

I'm just glad you pointed it out to me first, because I surely would have built some monstrosity, one way or the other. LOL