First build noobie questions and a irregular frame....

GoldenMotor.com

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
Hey Fellows excited to make my first post ever dealing with motorized bicycles and although Ive read through a couple bike forums I still have some questions.

My first build was going to be a Cruiser until I came across this Ironhorse Maverick. I like that it feels like a hybrid, nice shocks, disc brakes and lets face it, IronHorse on the bike is pretty appropriate lol.

My first issue is this irregular frame! I know there is a fix for this perhaps making some new mounts but I wanted to ask the pros and see if Im fretting over nothing.

Second is motor. One minute its get the 2 stroke and a jackshaft, next minute its get the 4 stroke and jackshaft. I like the 4 stroke idea but cant get used to that super wide motor.

Im pretty well settled on a 2 stroke at this moment. Cost, weight and I just read that a 36T sprocket can be used to gain quite a bit of top end speed without sacrificing much low end torque. Thoughts?
EDIT. Let me add that if the 36T is the magic sprocket I would forego the jackshaft on this first build.

Okay here are a couple pics of the frame issue Im facing.

Thank you for any input!!!

Dan.

Last edited:

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Yes. That is a pretty irregular frame there, isn't it?

No doubt the motor can be fastened solidly to that frame. But it's likely to take a custom made motor mount. The good news is that you probably can do it. The bad news is that you've probably got to do it yourself.

The only advice I can offer is non-specific, but still important. Don't drill through the frame. And whatever mount you do end up fabricating, make sure that it holds that motor tight. If that motor doesn't stay exactly where you put it, then drive train troubles are guaranteed.

I'll bet it's a nice bike. But I'd consider using something else.

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
Your right :(

About to order the PistonHawk motor kit and will switch to a cruiser I reckon.
Thank you for your reply.
Dan.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Used higher end mountain bikes are easy to find. They are usually much better quality than the average cruiser so you might consider using some older name brand used bike. I've had great luck with Diamondback, Trek, Specialized and GT mountain bikes for fractions of the cost of today's equivalent quality.

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
I'll bet you won't regret it too much; cruisers are very good bikes for this job.

Simple mountain bikes are, too. But cruisers have real style.
I placed an ad in one of our Facebook groups for a Cruiser or mountain bike. Oddly enough I picked up a brand new (tags still on bike) Huffy for 50 bucks that the fellow was going to use for a project that never happened and then a lady said she had a mountain bike that turned out to be a ladies or unisex Roadmaster. After putting the Cruiser in my truck I picked up the Roadmaster in hopes the front fork/brakes would fit the Huffy and they do, well at least measurements with my caliper says they will lol.

Also picked up a Mesinger seat at a garage sale (across the street from my house) for a buck and it looks to be a 60's ish model seat. I just love the looks of the springs in back.

So far the bike was $50, parts bike $15 and seat $1.00 Good start I hope.

Used higher end mountain bikes are easy to find. They are usually much better quality than the average cruiser so you might consider using some older name brand used bike. I've had great luck with Diamondback, Trek, Specialized and GT mountain bikes for fractions of the cost of today's equivalent quality.
I think Im pretty hooked on this new hobby lol Im sure I will have to have a mountain bike conversion at some point. I have my sights set on a Trek a friend of mine never uses....