Good Vibrations and Bad Vibrations

GoldenMotor.com

Sergeant Snowball

Jul 28, 2013
Atlanta Georgia
Well, my kit is running pretty smoothly but my bike doesn't seem to like all the vibration that's coming from the engine. All the bolts are coming loose. i suppose safety wiring and JB-weld might solve my problem but i'm wondering if i can cut down the vibes if possible. Anybody have any suggestions? .xx.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
Welcome to the forum snowball. There have been many discussions on this subject, you should search it and make up your own mind, it's more complicated than you may think.
What I personally would suggest to anyone with an motor assisted bicycle is replacing every bolt on your kit with american made fasteners. No rubber in the motor mounts. No threadlock of any kind. Upgraded fender bracketry. Removal of chain tensioner. Regular maintenance. Make sure everything's tight before every ride.
Whatever you do, be safe and have fun! Good luck.

Sergeant Snowball

Jul 28, 2013
Atlanta Georgia
Thanks for the tips guys. I have worked on many other vehicles and machinery but never a motorized bike so I appreciate the help. I'll read the other threads too. Thanks again guys.

Sergeant Snowball

Jul 28, 2013
Atlanta Georgia
Thanks for the tips guys. I tightened up my mounting hardware for the engine and I used thread locker on various screws and bolts and everything is staying put now. I had the most problems with my exhaust manifold bolts though. So I used thread locker, lock washers and JB Weld and covered the bolts with it. The JB Weld gets hot but is keeping the bolts tight.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Sarge,
Make a small investment and buy a torque wrench. I don't trust Harbor Freight tools so I wouldn't suggest one from there but many other tool places carry them. You'll want one in inch pounds.
One of the biggest problems new builders have is broken fasteners and that can usually be traced to over tightening them.

As was said above and has been posted here many times, do not put any rubber or resilient material between the engine and the frame. Bolt it down as solid as you can.
If you have fenders keep a close watch on them. They can be dangerous, very dangerous, even when reinforced, checked and tightened. Ask me how I know :)

Tom

Sergeant Snowball

Jul 28, 2013
Atlanta Georgia
Thanks Tom. I agree with you. I think I will get a torque wrench just to be on the safe side. My arm isn't quite as calibrated as it use to be when I was working on jet engines =) usflg

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Thanks for the tips guys. I tightened up my mounting hardware for the engine and I used thread locker on various screws and bolts and everything is staying put now. I had the most problems with my exhaust manifold bolts though. So I used thread locker, lock washers and JB Weld and covered the bolts with it. The JB Weld gets hot but is keeping the bolts tight.
Using an additional muffler support is also a good way to keep from having exhaust issues. Keeps it from flopping around and loosening so quickly.