Disc brakes on rear wheel...

GoldenMotor.com

GasX

Oct 7, 2011
Florida
How much fab work is involved in having both a drive sprocket and disc brake on the rear wheel? Is it easier to use a shift kit even if it is a one speed rear hub?

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
It's definately easier with a shifter kit.
I used a shifter kit & a 8-speed Sturmey hub with a disc on my Felt Revolver... It works really good!, but to be honest, it's about 4 more gears than the bike really needs. :rolleyes:

Busey had all his buddies design & build him a disc & sprocket system... I've never seen it run, but knowing how these bikes are I suspect it might have some problems with the chain bouncing hard off the tire at high speeds because of the minimal clearance between them. (but like I said, I haven't actually seen it run).

Last edited:

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
There is a product called a top hat adapter that you can use to run both a brake disc and a sprocket on the left side.
Things to consider though:
Is the rear wheel's hub already set up with ISO brake disc mounting holes? This is necessary.

Does the bike already have the mounts for a rear disc brake caliper?
If not you can use or make an adapter.

Is there enough space on the left side to accommodate both the sprocket and and the disc/ caliper and still allow proper chain alignment?

Here is Dogtown Burner's thread about his Grubee GT2A framed build. Read through it and you will learn of his experience with running both a sprocket and a disc brake on the left side.
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=42432

Every bike frame is different and not everyone's solution will fit another bike frame.
Some will be easier, some harder.