double mechanical calipers ???

GoldenMotor.com

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
Ive got a costumers bike and even tho everything is set proper with his XL body mass the bike doesnt stop well enough for his comfort? has anyone ever doubled up calipers on disc if so, what was the results. I just dont want to waste money and time

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
any chance you could swap out the pads for some softer compound ones? i had a set a while back when i mtn biked more that were almost rubber like, worked really good, but they made a fair bit of noise when wet.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Rick,
What diameter rotors are you working with? You undoubtedly know this but for the benefit of others, the larger the rotor the better the stopping power. If my research is correct the 203 (dia. in mm) is the biggest available for bicycle brakes.

Tom

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
MD weve tried a few but none to his satisfaction.......... 2door I put 160mm Avid BB7-MTN front and rear. (I get em cheap so I keep a set in stock.) Let me know your thoughts on this next idea, I have been tossin around of making a front hub adapter to mount dual rotors on like motorcycle have. Ill play around on the mill to see what i come up with. If he cant stop with dual front disc and a disc on the rear, theres no thing going to do the job.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I'm finding it hard to believe that Avid BB-7 on the front is not enough brake for your customer. Even at his body mass they should do the job.

The linkage for dual calipers shouldn't present you with much challenge but I'd look at increasing rotor size first. It might save you some work.
What about the rear? What's back there?
Tom

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
2 Door, avid bb7s front and back. I really think the problem is him. He has never been on a motorcycle and hadnt ridin a bike since childhood, Im out just to keep him happy we all know bad feedback can do to a small companies reputation. I just want to be able to tell him there is nothing to up grade to, that its all him. However I do like the Idea of a front hub adapter for dual disc.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Good Lord. BB-7s front and rear, and he isn't satisfied with the braking?

Rick, it sounds to me as if a little riding instruction might be in order. You know, that old axiom about, "The customer is always right" .....it's a crock. In fact, they're usually not and they often need more information. Have you personally ridden this bike? Do the brakes perform for you? You're the builder and the knowledgable one. Instruct the guy on proper braking and he might go away happy.

I'm of course assuming the Avids are installed and adjusted properly. They are the quintessential brake for a bike and rider weight shouldn't make them less so. Rider misuse however can compromise any braking system.
Tom

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
When I ride it it'll bring the rear tire off the road. So I know there is nothing wrong or mal adjusted. I bet with the combined weight of him and bike pass the 500 mark easy. heck that why he came to us he wanted a motorized bike made of thicker tubing than whats available. So we used 11ga. tubing, triple walled rims, heavy duty 110psi tires and heavy duty tubes (5x thicker then normal) and powered it with a rebuilt electric start 8hp briggs. If I cant please him, Ill refund his money and ride it myself or just re-sell it. ( I really dont want to do that) It's likely 1 of the nicest bikes weve built at the shop

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
something that may make a slight difference,if it isnt already is longer handlebar levers.
my bike has the short two finger ones,it takes somewhat of a pull for a hard stop.

this rider may be braking too late,demanding too much of the brakes.expecting it to stop like a car.
i'm thinking about dabbling with hydraulic brakes from an atv.i think i have a set in my parts/junk pile

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Rick,
At 500 plus pounds you need to keep in mind that bicycle brakes, any brand, type, etc. might be inadequate. That's a lot of inertia to control with components designed for a lot less weight.

Tom