Mikuni vm20 carb?

GoldenMotor.com

dj.chicken1

Apr 28, 2012
australia
idk if i am posting this in the right area but i saw a vid on YouTube with a guy running a 49cc on a Yamaha ag100 carb which is a mikuni vm20 i believe.

I have a 60cc or 70cc whatever you want to call it and i was thinking about getting one just wondering has anybody had any experience with this or herd about it also i have a reed valve kit comming soon from rock soild engines and found my carb has broken so if i am going to buy a new one why not but a good one?

any input would be great on tips or how it runs with it.

thanks Zach.xx.

superharry

Mar 10, 2012
Mira Loma, CA.
It might be a little big... I'm using a vm22 on my bike, with a 147cc. it's a bit much, and needed to be jetted down. The "22" is 22mm at the bore dia. engine intake port is 19mm. The "20", is measured same way. very tunable carb!

ivan H

Oct 8, 2011
australia
Seriously mate, that is too big. I have a 66cc that has a bit done to it & have VM16. Even an 18mm, unless u have ported for seriously hi rpm is big. I also have reeds on order from RSE & am expecting to have to jet a few jet sizes richer when installing them. Mikuni is a great carb,,, but like any carb, it'll only work well if it has enough intake velocity flowing thru it. Get a VM16. Cheers

ivan H

Oct 8, 2011
australia
well there ya go,. I've been told by someone using the same reeds that I've ordered that I'll need to go down 1 jet size when addding the reeds as it'll run rich due to eliminating spitback, which'll put me at a 70" main jet that came stock with the carb. Any smaller main jet & I'd consider a smaller carb. With a 20mm venturi u'd be jetting way up to deal with low velocity. Cheers

Last edited:

dj.chicken1

Apr 28, 2012
australia
ok thanks for the input boys i bought about 3 differnt carbs of a yamaha ag100 which are mikuni's

i will test them out and re jet them and see how well they go i will let you guys know :)

Rocksolidperson

Feb 11, 2012
Australia
Ivan i agree, i run a 15.15mm dellorto, and thats plenty. Your motor would probs end up boging right out, best go with something in around 14-16

ivan H

Oct 8, 2011
australia
hi Rock Solid, yeah, unless I was porting for serious rpm I wouldnt go bigger than 16mm. If mikuni did a 15 I probly woulda got. I mean, I could get enough top end out of the NT, its just the mikuni is a lot better built & tuneable everywhere from Idle to WOT. Oh, Tony at RSE is doing me a manifold for the reeds to fit the mikuni, still with the same length, so I imagine they'll b available now. Cheers

ivan H

Oct 8, 2011
australia
Tip. These carbs r 4 rotary valved 2 strokes or 4 strokes & have bleeder holes in the needle jet. Air enters thru these & mixes with fuel. If u have trouble tuning in the 1/4 to 3/4 throttle range, take off air cleaner & block off the drilling at the very bottom of the air intake to stop this happening. Cheers