jack shafts & internal gears

GoldenMotor.com

damo99

Mar 29, 2011
australia
hi i know this has been dealt with before but what i want to know is how the internal gear hubs have held up and are they better than a derailliuer set up .
i have an 8 speed derailiuer at the moment but am having trouble with it ,and have got a 3 speed shimano and sturmey archer hub gear set.
i don't know witch one to use .
any sugestions .cs.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
I prefer internally-shifted hubs to externally-shifted derailleurs because chain alignment always stays true with internal. With an 8-speed derailleur, you're going to have a lot of chain angle in the lowest and highest gears. With engine power, this will cause increased chain and sprocket wear in those gears. With increased chain and sprocket wear comes a higher chance you get a bad shift and break a tooth or two off a cog set.

You might find this thread interesting to read: http://motorbicycling.com/f48/internal-geared-hubs-whats-good-what-31486.html

I have over 3000 miles on my Sturmey 3-speed, powered by Huasheng, 4G, and a SBP 4-stroke shift kit. So far it's all doing a wonderful job.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I prefer internally-shifted hubs to externally-shifted derailleurs because chain alignment always stays true with internal.
I completely agree with Aleman, internal gears are much smoother and less hassle.
I am on my 4th NuVinci hub build right now and my personal ride sports one with ~400 miles with a tricked 66cc 2-stroke on it as well.

When it comes to prices the NuVinci is about on par with an 8-speed hub, or if you were lucky and scooped up a few Cadillac Fleetwood bikes that come with the NuVinci and a disc brake for $300 like I did you could just pull it's wheels and put them on whatever you wanted like I did with one ;-}

3 speed internals aren't bad, my bike originally had one and I put a lot of miles on it just fine, I just wanted a little more control.

Derailleurs do work though if they are in Tgood shape and generally you don't need the lowest or highest gears anyway, but the big problem with an 8 speed is how thin the chain is. It doesn't take many under power 'bad shifts' to rip that chain apart and leave you walking.

Though I haven't tried one yet, I would a 5 speed would be good, you could at least use HD 410 for the drive chain.